Respected Contributor

Re: Purging Papers - CC statements

I pay them and then shred them as soon as  receive them. If I ever need to go back to the statement ( Only for tax purposes) I go online for. them.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I don’t get credit card paper statements anymore but I do keep receipts and paper invoices. I’ve kept many for too long and I am currently shredding those. 

Trusted Contributor

Get rid of your paper and save some trees.  EVERYTHING is available online.  Why clutter up your house with paper?  Okay, you might want to keep hard copies of tax forms and a few other things, but that's about it.  I haven't received a hard copy of a credit card statement in years.  I'm notified and reminded by email when a bill is due and then pay it in thirty seconds online.  I do that with all utilities as well.  I actually get upset now if I get paper copies in the mail.  I don't want them.  I don't even take receipts from local stores anymore.  IF I want one but not a paper copy, they'll send it to my email address.  SO very convenient and I've eliminated file folders and cabinets.  Year ago, they would be overflowing with files of all sorts.  Not anymore. I feel better organized and certainly much lighter.

Trusted Contributor

And to those who think they might need that one paper from twenty years ago for some unsual situation, then take pictures of your items.  Okay, granted I would and do still hold on to wills, birth certifictes, etc., but most other things aren't needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jaspersmom  I can't imagine how good it must feel to not have the paperwork building up.  Paperwork is something I hate dealing with...the filing, etc.  

Honored Contributor

I truly have no idea when I first began to opt out of receiving paper statements, but I know it's really rare that I want to know something older than any company offers me.

Question for someone who knows.   I have assumed that whether I choose to use them or not, all my records are on the Internet anyway.  Am I correct?

Respected Contributor

If you don't shred things with staples or plastic, check with your local animal shelter or pet store. They may use the shredded paper as bedding for the animals.

Esteemed Contributor

No paper for me, especially cc statements.  I can check charges daily on line if I want to.  All bills come on line and are paid the same way.  Some are on auto pay.  why wait a month for a paper statement to check charges? 

Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I tend to hang on to all my paperwork much longer than I should, just in case. When my mom passed in 2014,I had to go thru all her stuff. She still had paper work dating back to the 60's. I'm no where that bad. 

@catter70   My mom's too but I found $300 tucked inbetween some papers so that was well worth sorting through the piles.

Trusted Contributor

I shred cc statements every 3 or 4 months.

One thing I do hold onto are old cards - birthday cards, anniversary cards, Christmas cards, just the ones that have sweet notes from my loved ones written on the inside of the cards.  I have ones from my deceased loved ones, probably a whole box or two of those.  Can't seem to let go of them, with the pretty handwritings and notes, that bring back memories from my loved ones. Last time I purged those, I probably only threw away 5 of 6 of them.  Maybe someday I can let go......