Valued Contributor

Flatbush....how did you cover them up?  Never heard about this finishing technique.  I am interested.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Actually when we were considering building a mountain vacation home about twelve years ago, we looked at a few homes in a Pocono development area built by an older builder.

His homes featured glittered popcorn ceilings.  Since I hate glitter at holidays because it seems to stick around for decades, I thought that over time the glitter could come loose and drop down.

Because of the builder's stubborness on other issues and non-accommodation on our needs, we ended up buying a weeken home there which we enjoyed for over ten years and just sold.  

( The snow and cold began to bother our joints too much at this age. The house had appreciated in value with all the additions we made, esp. the first floor master suite. )

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Over the past several years, we have remodeled, renovated, etc. our home.  We have never once considered eliminating our “textured” ceilings.  

As far as holding back on unnecessary large spending in this economic climate, I vote to hold back.  For one thing, we have stepped up our donations.  For another, it’s good to be conservative nowadays.

Honored Contributor

We had them in our last house and I hated them.

Honored Contributor

They don't bother me that much, and it certainly wouldn't deter me from buying a home that I really liked.....I have also seen on HGTV that they are a nuisance, and hard to remove, but that is something you can alwasy do down the line at a much later date if you want to!

Esteemed Contributor

@tampalady wrote:

Flatbush....how did you cover them up?  Never heard about this finishing technique.  I am interested

@tampalady 

The building I live in is remodeling the halls, which includes getting rid of the popcorn ceilings.  They covered over the popcorn ceilings with new drywall.  

In our home we got rid of it by hiring someone to sand the ceiling.  Very messy.   

Respected Contributor

My house was built in the early 60's and had sprayed on popcorn ceilings.  I've never liked them.  I painted them a couple of times which was a huge undertaking because they absorb so much paint.  During my last remodel I wanted to scrap them off.  I had a test done on the material and found that it had asbestos.  I didn't feel safe disturbing the asbestos so I had new drywall installed over the top.  They look so much better.  I still have a bit in the dining area and in the basement stairwell.  That's on hold because it's another big job that I don't have the energy for.  I'd had to take everything out of the kitchen, then clean up drywall dust, then reload.  I'll leave it for the next occupant.  But I'm happy to hear that someone will find it attractive.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Reever What do you mean "no one"? I know a few people who HAVE and CAN afford home rennovations. Where do you get your info that "no one" can afford something? You are 100% wrong.

Really? This is a discussion board not a court of law. I think people understood the gist of what was said but apparently not you. smh

@ThinkingOutLoud I agree we all know what she meant. This is an anonymous board, so who knows who can afford what. Why would we care anyway?

Valued Contributor

Thank you for some of your suggestions.  So, I think I will hold off just because of the mess and my DH.   

Respected Contributor

I've had mine for 30 years and much prefer it to a flat ceiling.