Honored Contributor

Does anyone have it, and if so can you get it for a sick pet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Super Contributor

I have it for my 2 cats but got it when they were first adopted so I am not sure about getting it with a pre-existing condition. It has been fabulous for us. I pay $300 a year per cat and in the past year with gopetplan.com. Last year was a tough one for 1 cat--she had over $6000 of medical expenses and we had almost all of that reimbursed to us.

Frequent Contributor

We had VPI and they were great until the dogs got really sick. The first dog had pre-exsisting condition with his ears so they would not pay anything on that. We were ok with that. The other injured his back playing and they said that was due to the breed and refused to pay anything on that. The only thing they were good for was their yearly checkups. So I highly would NOT recommend VPI if you want to pursue pet insurance. I am pretty sure they would not cover any pre-exsisting conditions whomever you go with.

Super Contributor

Yes, I have it for my Chihuahua. Have had it since he was a pup. I use Embrace.

There are a lot of factors - the age of your pet, what's wrong, medical history, etc., that will determine if you can purchase it, what the premium would be, and what kind of waiting period you might have before something was covered.

Many companies give online quotes, so you can enter your pet's info without having to talk to anyone, and get an idea of the details and cost. There are many companies who offer pet insurance, and they aren't all equal, so do some research.

Good luck to you and your pet baby. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

There is a wonderful insurance for pets which is called United Pet Care. It runs about $12 to $15 per month but it doesn't work like the other insurance that you have to pay the vet and then file a claim. You just tell your vet at the time you have it and they call the 800 number and verify your participation and they tell the vet how much they will cover and it is deducted right from your bill

We are offered it at my job and even though my kitty died a year ago, I saved a lot of money in the last year of his life. You should check it out

https://www.unitedpetcare.com

http://www.petinsurancereview.com/unitedPetCare.asp

Esteemed Contributor

thanks for the information, I looked on the united pet care website and unfortunately it appears they are only available in limited states so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere. If anyone has other suggestions, I would be interested.

Super Contributor

Gina, I have Embrace: www.embracepetinsurance.com

This link was also posted: gopetplan.com

The ASPCA offers pet insurance: http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/

I agree with ReikiLady, don't go with VPI.

Google and then research, you should be able to get some good comparisons.

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much everyone! I will check these out. I really appreciate all the posts.

Super Contributor
I use Pet Plan Gold. I pay about $375 a year for my 4 year old retriever. It does not cover wellness check ups, shots or standard care. So, it is more like catastrophe insurance. There is also a deductible.
Super Contributor

I looked into it, but decided against it. I scoured the details of each plan, and none of them would cover the issues I needed help with. My dog has a lot of allergies, several congenital problems which make her susceptible to many health issues. She's not even two years old and has already cost a fortune at the vet. But looking at the pet insurance plans, none of them would help with her costs if I bought a plan!

The other problem I have with the insurance is that they market it to give peace of mind that your baby will be treated in the event of an emergency, etc. The problem is that isn't necessarily true. You still have to have the money UPFRONT to pay the vet for services. You file a claim and wait to be reimbursed. If they decide to cover it.

the insurance might be good to have if your pet is generally healthy to begin with and you feel better having 'just in case' coverage. But if they already have had issues, none of those are going to be covered.