Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883 , somewhat envious; I love DH but he is just not a home handyman.

I coud see using brush and roller but I may go all brush and call the lack of slick perfection "patina".  The door will be my canvas.  I shoud have Bob Ross playing in the background "no mistakes, just happy accidents"!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Have had mine painted different colors over the last 28 yrs .

First  2 times  the door was  painted with a brush and small roller while still  hung with hardware removed  . Then I bought a  cheaper door at a Habitat for humanity store to hang while  mine was being  painted and  drying in my garage .  Should Take the hardware off  but if that's an issue  tape around hardware and use a very  small painters brush .

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @Drythe . Separation anxiety exists for us humans, too, doesn't it?  I hate the thought of being without my dog for any length of time.

Good advice on the door.  Proper prep is key.  Fortunately at this time there appears to be no rust (the door is under a wide porch).  All the more reason to get it done before it starts.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   I suggest calling Ace Hardware because they will know best.  I hope you paint it an exciting color that compliments your home.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia   Lock the dog in a bedroom.  Everything I've ever read recommended removing the door and hardware, which is why my door has never been painted. 

@Kachina624 

We have one of those mahogany doors (that I don't like) with the leaded glass at the top and the sidelight thingmabobs are mahogany with leaded glass.  I have stood this door about as long as I wish and I am thinking of (much to my husband's chagrin), buying a painted steel door and taking this thing down because every painter wants to take it down for days  Snakes would be living with me if I did that.  I just want a door that does not look like it needs a fresh coat of wax all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Painting a Front Door

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday , it is said the eyes are the window to the soul.  I say too, the front door says everything about the home.

Painted fiberglass is a nice option; it has a grain and is low maintenance.  I had one at a previous home.  ProVia is an excellent brand.  Some would say fiberglass is almost as good as wood in terms of aesthetics.

Cogito ergo sum