Honored Contributor

@River Walk Diva ....what 'texture' paint did you use?  What was the texture?

I have tried using the sand in the paint technique...and found it to be very messy.  I have one wall in our master that I'd like to try for a different look...thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I would install wainscoating up to the windowsill. Easy, inexpensive way to cover flaws. I would paint the beadboard white semigloss and paint a color of my choice above that. I would also use the pricier Benjamin Moore bath & spa paint for the basthroom. Totally worth the added expense.

I would choose a new curtain (if applicable) and towels FIRST, and then choose a paint to coordinate with them. 

Respected Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

To hide those flaws on the walls you could do a texturing technique and then paint. 

That's what I have done.  I had the drywall guy put a texture over some paneling, then I primed and painted.  You can't tell that there's paneling under there and I like the look.  It was way less money than removing the paneling and putting in new drywall.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies, I had forgotten about the different paint finishes as well, gloss vs. semi gloss, etc.   That helps me too

The flaws are not bad enough for me to do anything like a texturing or any of the other suggestions.   My problem is I know everywhere I patched, so of course, my eye goes there.  No one else will notice if I use the right paint color & finish.

I don't have a window and like I mentioned the room is very small, wainscoting is not an option, there's just not enough wall space to bother.   I have a large vanity & mirror on one wall, the other is the bath/shower combo.   The 3rd wall is the door.   There is only 1 small wall that's "vacant"

I've struggled with this awful room for years, literally,  I wish I could gut, but no $$$ for that so I can only do the best I can with what I have.   I'll find a medium shade in an eggshell finish.

Trusted Contributor

Why don't you use a skimcoat first.  I had to do that in one of my bedrooms and the walls came out looking brand new.

Skim coating is a texturing technique used to make a wall smooth. Drywallers use this technique to hide an imperfect taping job, to give the wall a plaster-like appearance and in situations when only the smoothest surface will do.

Respected Contributor

For a small, windowless powder room can I suggest

a warm creamy yellow, it will work with the lighting to create the glow of natural light that a windowless room lacks.  You can decorate with white and blue accessories for crisp, cheery look.

Another color I have found is a rose quartz color (Behr) it is more of a taupe color with a rose pink undertone it is a lovely hue that looks especially happy with shades of green.

One last idea- if the room is under a staircase with sloped ceiling lines consider painting the ceiling the same color as the walls so it disappears and opens up the room.

Honored Contributor

I would also look into the type of finish your paint has too, like one of the posters said-- you know how there is enamel, eggshell, flat, semi-gloss etc. I know one type of finish was done on the ceilings in our downstairs to help hide the cr*appy sheetrock hanging/taping/texturing  and another was used on the walls. Go to a paint store and ask for help.

Esteemed Contributor

We are always in the process of another DIY project. We have an older home now and are in the middle of removing wallpaper from a few rooms. A light color will not show wall imperfections the best. If you want grey then choose a very light grey. There are many shades of white with a color undertone. There is a white with a grey undertone that might work. How much natural light do you have in your bathroom? Is it large or small? These answers will help you with your color choice.

I would keep the wall painting simple. I've done the texturing on the walls but I find they work best in a large space with lots of natiral light.

Paint color should be one of your favorite colors that you like. What works for me is to pick up the paint color strips (no more than 3 at a time) from the hardware store or big bos store. Tape them to the wall and stare at them for a few days. Move them around the room so you can see the color at different times of the day/night and in different light.

Sometimes you have to make a few trips to get the proper color strip that works for you but once you do then you have an easy match for your accesories to what's on the strip.

Good Luck.   

Honored Contributor

I once used paint that had a little texture to it. It wasn't difficult to put on, but helped cover tiny bumps and rough patches.

Honored Contributor

I will echo the lighter color and fixing as much of what you can. 

And while I agree that a gloss or semi gloss with accentuate the flaws, I personally would be careful how satin/matte/ flat you choose, for the ability to clean the walls in that area is of great importance (as compared to say a bedroom wall). 

I've had some satins that are so perfect, just enough gloss to make them easy to clean, but not shiny. Others have ended up looking and performing just like a flat paint, and nothing comes off them. So very frustrating. 

Definitely pay to get samples and brush on the walls, let dry for a couple of days and compare colors and finishes across the brands that interest you. 

In my opinion there isn't a 'standard' for what the end product of those various terms (gloss, semi gloss, satin, flat etc.) actually exhibit once on the walls. Various brands are really quite a different end product. I used to balk at paying a lot of money for a wide range of samples, but not anymore. It's worth it to see what several different choices will actually dry like and feel like and look like on your actual surface.