Honored Contributor

For those who have decorated, I need to paint my small bathroom.    It had wallpaper.  I was originally thinking white, then I could coordinate with any color, or just do black & gray accessories.

My walls are still not perfect.   The drywall/wallboard was not sealed or primed before the wallpaper.    I've patched, sanded, sealed & primed all I can.    But there are still a few small flaws.

What would camouflage the flaws best, a dark color or light?    I was thinking gray or beige but my walls would look dirty.    I'm out of ideas.

Contributor

For sure a lighter color on the flawed walls. Generally in bathroom eggshell finish is used but that will emphasize the flaws.  You could opt for wainscoting but depends on your decorating style.  Finally gut the walls put up new drywall and get a fantastic taper prime it well and paint away.  That will be more expensive but you may be happier in the long run.

Trusted Contributor

To hide those flaws on the walls you could do a texturing technique and then paint. 

Occasional Contributor

I did a grey textured paint in a small bathroom. It is stunning. Accented with white shower curtain and accessories. Hides the flawed walls.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paint advice

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem in my bathroom with the walls after taking down the paper. The walls hadn't been 'something'...the word isn't sealed or primed it's some other word specific to what you should do to walls before papering but the word is escaping me at the moment. Anyway, I wound up giving up and having it repapered with a very plain paper, just a simple teeny tiny print, so teeny tiny that if you walked by the open bathroom door you'd probably think it was paint.

I probably went through 20 wallpaper books before I found something that suit me. 

Aha the word just hit me......sizing. 

Honored Contributor

Just avoid any glossy paint.  Like shiny fabric on a person, it accentuates any flaws.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If you paint over flaws, you will just have painted flaws.  The flaws must be dealt with first.  Sad but true.

Honored Contributor

Love Dover White by Sherwin Williams.  It's a soft egg shell.

Honored Contributor

@software   I think your thought process is correct.  A bold color would accentuate and a white/light color would do the same.  I think an in between would work best.

If it's possible to cover the small flaws with a mirror or a small wall shelf (or just distract with amazing towels and accessories), I think you'll like the outcome. 

Honored Contributor

@software  I asked the same question at Sherwin Williams, I was told light color is best as well as NOT a glossy finish.

If you need pops of color....when I repainted my bathroom after wall paper (I did have someone come in and put on a skim coat....it looks OK not perfect).  On one small wall I purchased vinyl peel and stick wall decals....I chose large flowers, with lots of color.  It really add a  pop of color....they are to be applied to smooth walls so I am guessing you can use them.  QVC sells this product as well as many other sites.  There is a LOT of variety....and the are not overly expensive.