Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Oh get unclogging toilets!!  We moved into a brand new house ten years ago and the master bathroom clogged almost every time it was used!  To replace a brand new toilet just made us angry but as it turned out it was actually the plumbing that made flushing difficult.  Two years ago we moved into the house we are in now (70 years old) and we replaced both toilets and they (American Standard) have turned out to be the best we've ever had!!  So I believe it's a combo of the actual toilet and how good the plumbing was handled (and/or repaired, etc.)  The worst ones were years and years ago and had that little button on the top!  Awful.....  

Good luck!

I grew up in NYC many, many years ago - and my grandmother had a toilet where u had to pull down the handle (it was hanging down from above.) The bathtub was in the kitchen with a metal cover over it - and used as a workspace.

Honored Contributor

Getting ready to replace a new toilet in MB (3 yrs. old) that is just too high for me. I'm 5'7".  But I prefer a much lower commode seat.  Thankfully, no bad knees.  Hope I never have to sit on a high chair again.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Getting ready to replace a new toilet in MB (3 yrs. old) that is just too high for me. I'm 5'7".  But I prefer a much lower commode seat.  Thankfully, no bad knees.  Hope I never have to sit on a high chair again.  

Thankfully we have choices, @Lucky Charm .  I am also 5'7"and I appreciate the taller commode.  I feel like I am going to fall when going to sit on the short models.  Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

About a year ago, we replaced three toilets that were original to the house, which was over 20 years ago.  They were always clogging and the flush always seemed insufficient.  

My nephew has his own home improvement business and suggested the American Standard Champion toilet which we purchased and so glad we did.  No clogs and a powerful flush.  Here is the info on it: 

The Champion® 4 Flushing System has the largest siphonic trapway (2-3/8" diameter) and the largest flush valve (4" diameter) is virtually clog-free, so you'll never have to plunge again. It's packed with innovative features that make it ideal for busy and/or large households.

Thank you for the recommendation, @ciao_bella .  I will look into this model.  We currently have American Standard and really haven't had any problems.  It is just time to put in a taller profile toilet.  

OT you recommended a homemade shower and bath cleaner on a thread a long time ago.  I believe it had Dawn dish soap in it.  Can you repost the recipe for it?  Is it good at removing soap scum?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Just don't get cheap!  You'll be uncomfortable when you use it!

Respected Contributor

We put 2 new toilets in our newly renovated new house.i wanted stylish, easy to clean, tall, modern , adaptable for bidet and not very expensive. 

So we got Woodbridge T-0001. Love them!6F496D7B-A641-4641-8A13-00BFA50B5C99.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@gabstoomuch wrote:

Happy to see this thread. I am getting ready to gut my bathroom and need a new toilet. Not "need" but mine has been in this house since my kids were little, and they are all in their 30's,  so it is old and not flushing well any more.

What is dual flush?

I love the one with the skirted bottom but 872.00 is way too much for me. I have not gone to Lowes yet but I figured I would have to figure out toilets since they have come so far in "toilet technology".

This is helpful.

@gabstoomuchdual flush.  You push the handle in one direction for lighter jobs and the other direction when you need that.  It's not a handle you push down like the toilets we all know.  these you can flush two ways. 

We flip houses and I bought two of the dual flush. When they were installed I started flushing them and didn't realize that one said #1 and the other said #2.

@gabstoomuch  the "buttons" are side by side on the top of the tank but don't know if @gidgetgh  has something different.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@gabstoomuch 

B272E1AE-24AE-42D4-BE6F-650B947C9023.jpeg

@gidgetgh  those that we bought are different. The dual flush sits on top of the tank which say #1 and #2.

Frequent Contributor

I too am currently remodelling and it has become overwhelming.  Thanks for all these suggestions!

Trusted Contributor

I vote for the toilet that can flush all the golf balls. We recently replaced ours with that one (from Lowe's) and it's the best thing we ever did. Our old one would clog so easily and this one does not clog ever. It may sound silly, but it is well worth getting!!