Valued Contributor

Oh @Equulius  if you google the topic you will see that many brand new items arrive this way from overseas factories as well as domestic ones. Bug infestations can also start via cardboard cartons. I knew someone who got roaches this way. I know I am fussy: I just can’t help it!

Honored Contributor

@nevergivesup   You have two choices.  Go to the laundermat or don't wash it.  When I purchased a duvet cover I ironed it but did not wash it when I first received it.  When I felt it needed washing, I washed it.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I certainly understand why you choose to launder new purchases.  Do you have a steamer??  Something as large as a comforter could be steamed to eliminate any unwanted tag alongs.  Some floor steamers have attachments for bedding and furniture.

Esteemed Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

Why would you think there could be bed bugs in something that was new and never on a bed?

Because the container ship hauling your purchase into the US isn't exactly sanitary.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 ...  I love you !!  No BS and to the point ...

Valued Contributor

Thank you all again for your input. I‘ve decided to go the dryer route. I didn’t mean to beat a dead horse with such a simple thing but was interested in your opinions.

Respected Contributor

Re: Opinions Please

[ Edited ]

I rarely feel it necessary to launder something new, and thus far I can say I've never received bed bugs, etc.  Of course you can put it in the dryer, but I would never take it to a laundromat. Who knows what was in those machines last.  I'd rather take a chance with a new product unwashed.

I did take a king size down comforter to the laundry last spring and the charge for washing it was $45.00.  It was genuinely dirty as it had been on the bed for more than a year.  However, I might just as well have purchased a new one. Cost would be higher, but it would be new.

Esteemed Contributor

Opinion #3 - freeze the little buggers

Yes, not kidding.  I know you'd need one larger than your normal kitchen freezer compartment.   I have a big freezer in the basement and did that for something........can't recall now.  Of course, I can't prove it worked nor can anyone prove the dryer works either.

Honored Contributor

@nevergivesup . I also wash all clothes and bedding that comes in the house. We have a laundry service where you drop all your laundry off and they do it. No one else uses it. Maybe there is one in your area.

Or I would have it dry cleaned. It will have to be washed eventually. Also all things these days are made and shipped from China. Factories, holds on ships, etc. Yuck!

Honored Contributor

I think the dryer idea is good.  You never know any more about stuff.  I read somewhere that even new furniture such as mattresses and couches, etc. could be contaminated with various insects, larvae, etc. because of where these things are stored.  Kind of gives you the creeps when you think about it!!!

I always wash everything when I get it.  I admit that when I was younger I wouldn't, as I loved the "new" finish that everything had.  Now, because of dyes and chemicals, I do.  Also, regarding clothing, you never know who tried them on before you.  

Better safe than sorry.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin