Valued Contributor

I always wash clothing and linens as soon as I receive the items. I’m totally freaked out about horror stories of bed bugs, bad chemicals etc. I know  these incidents are rare but I don’t want to take any chances. However I am thinking about buying a king sized down blanket from Catherine Zeta Jones and think it will be too large for my washing machine. I hate the thought of going to the laundromat. What would you do?

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't wash it.  I would never wash something brand new that was difficult or expensive to clean.  You can carry the "unclean phobia" to the extreme.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It is unlikely you would be able to wash a king size down blanket in your machine with satisfactory results.  The options are to just put it on the bed or take it to a laundromat.  Frankly, the second option wouldn't be my choice due to the yuck factor.

Esteemed Contributor

If your comforter is washable you can take it to the cleaners and have them launder it for you. This can give you sticker shock, too. I had a king poly filled comforter laundered and it was $25.

I launder new bed linens, too. People are not often aware that textiles imported into the US are often fumigated.  Besides, you don't know when you're getting a customer return.

Honored Contributor

In the past I have had a down comforter and always had a duvet cover on it that was easy to wash.  Now I am very careful about what I put on our king size bed and only buy blankets that I know will fit into my washing machine.  It means more layers on the bed but I got tired of dealing with the duvet cover and to be able to wash the blankets at my convenience is worth it to me.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I did a google search as well and many advise putting the item in the dryer, without washing it, to kill any possible bugs or their eggs. I think that might be a reasonable compromise which would ease my mind a bit. 😊

Respected Contributor

I do not purchase bedding that I cannot wash at home and I always wash before using. 

Honored Contributor

Well I would use it out of the bag, but I think your dryer idea will ease your concerns.

Trusted Contributor

Why would you think there could be bed bugs in something that was new and never on a bed?

Esteemed Contributor

You might be surprised.  I put king comforters in my washing machine frequently.  I usually put another item or two in with it for balance, since it always seems the comforter goes around the agitator just 3/4 and then when it spins, it could go off balance.

I have a basic Hotpoint.

Cogito ergo sum