Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@software wrote:

Shall I start a list of what I see on HGTV that I don't like?

I don't like open concept.  I don't want to feel like I'm living in a gymnasium

Wide doorways are as far as I would go.

A front porch.   I love Hometown but not everyone loves a front porch.   I don't want anything covering my windows & doors.

Open shelving in the kitchen is ok in small doses.   If you have an awkward space near a window or an overhead vent, maybe, but only for items you use often.   

I do like porches.

To your list of don't likes I would add wood covered range vents.  I can't imagine how you would keep that clean.

What amazes me on the rehab shows is if you have a brick fireplace, they will cover it with tile, if it's stucco or tile, they will cover it in brick, for example

Honored Contributor

I have a couple of areas of open shelving, but the rest of my upper cabinets have glass doors, which give you the open feel, but keep things clean.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Open Shelving

[ Edited ]

I don't mind the look but neither do I embrace it. I can see a couple of open shelves almost purely for display of items rarely used that are decorative, but I wouldn't want an entire kitchen of open shelving. The issue for me isn't so much dust, as all it really takes is a swipe of a clean cloth and, as far as I'm concerned, most dishes are good to go. I simply prefer the look of closed cabinets. There's about a foot of space beteen the tops of my cabinets and the ceiling and that's all the display space I need. Those items do get dusty and since they are rarely used, do require washing rather than just wiping off before use.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Not a fan of open shelving. 

Stuff gets dirty, you have to really work to make things look neat and orderly and coordinating with the kitchen. It also looks industrial or something, not fancy, or nice.