Respected Contributor

I have seen the open shelving in kitchens alot on the HGTV remodel shows. Always wonder about your dishes  getting dusty !

Respected Contributor

I do like the look, but I'm sure anything up there would be full of cat hair if not an actual cat.

Honored Contributor

I think open shelving is very impractical.  It's so dusty where I live, I'd have to wash dishes before dinner.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My dishes would get very dusty, especially since there are only 2 of us here. I like the look, but it's not practical...same as so many things shown on TV and in magazines!

Honored Contributor

Not just dusty, but likely greasy as well.  And   I’d also be thinking about flies landing on them in the summertime.   Just not for me.

Honored Contributor

In addition to the dust, I just don't have so much matchy matchy stuff that my shelves would look so inviting -  saw a lovely kitchen on a house tour in an artsy community once.  Lots of open shelving as well as some glassed in shelving, but all with stacks of fiestaware and the stacks were done so that all over those shelves everything was in the same order.   The husband in that house ran a window shade and curtain business and even the striped curtains were the same Fiestaqware colors.

Cute for that house and artsy town-  way more effort to maintain than I'm willing to do.  Bad enough I have to unload the dishwasher let alone I have to stack the plates in color order.  Oh. no -  that's for someone way more ambitious than I am.

Honored Contributor

I don't think open shelving is at all hygienic.

Esteemed Contributor

Definately not me.

Honored Contributor

Shall I start a list of what I see on HGTV that I don't like?

I don't like open concept.  I don't want to feel like I'm living in a gymnasium

Wide doorways are as far as I would go.

A front porch.   I love Hometown but not everyone loves a front porch.   I don't want anything covering my windows & doors.

Open shelving in the kitchen is ok in small doses.   If you have an awkward space near a window or an overhead vent, maybe, but only for items you use often.   

Esteemed Contributor
I've never cared for this look when used in place of cabinets.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown