Esteemed Contributor

Re: New humming noise in my house-afraid

You could have tinnitus.

It has many causes and some are simple

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee 

Since it is spring, bees are becoming active.  If you have a hive of bees inside the walls of your house, you could possibly hear the hum coming from them as they wake up from hibernation and start their activity.  

Check the outside of your house to see if you see bees flying in and out of an opening.  Have you checked out the attic and crawl space?  A stethoscope would help you check out sounds in the walls and pinpoint a location.  

Are you afraid in your home alone?  There was an elderly poster here 5+ years ago who became afraid to live in her home alone after her husband passed, and her fears escalated into obsession about a loud roaring sound in the house.  Her son did not hear the noise; she paid multiple service calls to every service technician who would come to her house trying to find the noise.  She even called 911 and had police come multiple times!  No one ever heard a noise, but she absolutely insisted it was there and was so loud she couldn't sleep in her home.  

This poster became absolutely terrified of a noise no one else could hear, but she was not afraid to walk the multiple blocks from her house to her sons house in the wee hours of the morning seeking sanctuary with him!  There were times the son wasn't home, so our poster walked back to her home in the wee hours and sat inside, terrified, until exhaustion took over.  As the noise drama grew, so did other day to day issues that made it clear this dear lady had dementia.  

Respected Contributor

@RedTop   I remember that lady and her posts. I felt bad for her.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee So,what has happened? We care about you.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I hear a humming noise in my house, too. I think it's a combination of tinnitus and some other things going on in my house. One day I noticed my fridge's low normal hum seemed a bit louder than usual. The fridge somehow got pushed back to the wall and it was lightly vibrating on the wall and on the side next to one of my counters. So I moved the fridge away from the wall and from the side of the counter just a bit and that made the hum go away, back to a normal faint hum like it used to be before the fridge got moved. I have a habit of slamming the fridge door so that caused the fridge to move. Now I know.

My meds cause tinnitus but that noise is different than the fridge hum. It's more like a ringing noise rather than a hum. Still just annoying.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Not to alarm you but I had a very low humming and squealing noise only I could hear in the front of my house,  the noise was more prevalent in the evening hours.

This is what it turned out to be:

IMG_2358.jpeg

six babie raccoons living in my wall to the attic apparently abandoned by the mother😳.  It was the scariest thing that went on for weeks -- thank god my exterminator found them!

I hired a wildlife trapper to remove them.  Hope this is not your problem.  Nobody heard them but me and called me crazy🤦‍♀️

I had raccoons trapped behind a wall in my former home. They are quite noisy.

Honored Contributor

In our case it was the compressor in the refrigerator.  When it finally failed I had a bunch of food to throw out.  I shouldn't have stalled.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee I would unplug appliances, lamps and light bulbs too one by one and see if the noice stops. If not, I agree to call an electrician for peace of mind.

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee  Thinking about you.   I hear noises all the time that other don't.  Let us know.