Occasional Contributor

Re: New Spring Colors in the VPH Mercury Glass Lamp

I bought almost all colors. Ups felt the need to throw boxes at my door son yeah broke, but not impressed anyway. Back they went.
Super Contributor

I'm bumping this back up because I went ahead and ordered this lamp in green and received it today. Don't know if Valerie will be selling it tonight or not. I did not see it in the recently on air items in her 2 earlier shows or in the current show preview.

Anyway, I like the color, it's a spring green, not a dark green. The color is similar to the green TSV, but might look different because this lamp design is mottled and not speckled like the TSV.

SHOPR...I have to say that I agree with you on all points. This would look the best with a short flameless votive, but they have not yet figured out how to make the button batteries last longer and unfortunately the light that comes with this doesn't last any longer even with them being AAA. I really dislike the white light that comes with this lamp, maybe it looks better in the darker colors, but it's just too white in this green color.

I also agree that this lamp looks just as good or better unlit, but I don't like the look when the room is totally dark. I was able to pop the light out easily as you mentioned and I tried the 3" votive in it and a flameless tealight. I prefer the tealight, but will not be using them because of the battery life so the 3" votive will have to do.

It's too bad that Luminara's attempt at votives were a bust because I think those would have been perfect in this lamp.

Anyway, thanks for your review SHOPR! I really like the lamp and would not have purchased it if you had not mentioned that you were able to pop out the light.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi again, snpets. Did you see that the lamps were presented tonight? I was busy in the kitchen and was shocked when I looked up to see the lamps being presented after all. The new Spring colors I thought looked soooo nice and rich. There was even a shot or two where I could see the difference in the "finish" between the lamps and the jars.

I'm so glad my comments about my lamp were helpful to you. I agree with you that the Luminara rechargeable votives would have probably been a perfect look in a lamp like this. It just seems to me that this lamp is a great vessel, but is missing the most important feature of a lamp, which is a decent light source.

I recently rec'd the apricot CI 3" votives when they were a Lunchtime Special, and I think they look ok in the lamp as well. Still wishing I could think of a shorter alternative, though. I remember, now that you mentioned it, that I also thought the included tealight was too white. The amber from the 3" votives is more subdued, so not as piercing.

Super Contributor

Hi SHOPR, No, I did not see the presentation. I stepped away from the computer right after posting and got hung up doing other things until now. I just viewed the video and have to say that I really like the blue, but that color just wouldn't work for me. My colors are mainly cream, tan, chocolate and green with the oddball guest room/computer room of gray and purple.

Yes, I'm also wishing I can think of a shorter alternative, but for now the 3" will do!

Also, now that I mentioned Luminara, did you notice they are now making the pillars smaller at 3" diameter and they now use C batteries? I ordered the set of 4" today, will see how they work on my wall sconces. It does not mention the battery life, but I watched the video and the vendor stated 500 hrs. I wish it was longer, but 500 is OK, IF they really do last that long.

Honored Contributor

I saw the presentation. I really liked the pink and blue. I can hold out and see if one day they make it to the as is section. The batteries on my silver ones held out. I just replaced them this weekend. I think I've had them for two months. It was sometime in December.

Esteemed Contributor

snpets, I had NO idea about the new 3" diameter Luminaras! I have only watched Valerie's shows today and one online video from Jill's show. Thanks for mentioning this. I am definitely going to be ordering a set of the 4" in ivory. I may wait until later (spent too much on decor lately) and hope they don't sell out in the meantime. Please let us know if you are pleased with your set or if you have any complaints about them.

Super Contributor

On 2/18/2014 SHOPR said:

snpets, I had NO idea about the new 3" diameter Luminaras! I have only watched Valerie's shows today and one online video from Jill's show. Thanks for mentioning this. I am definitely going to be ordering a set of the 4" in ivory. I may wait until later (spent too much on decor lately) and hope they don't sell out in the meantime. Please let us know if you are pleased with your set or if you have any complaints about them.

I just happened to be looking through the new arrivals in the flameless candles category this morning and saw these were a hot pick. Yes, I will post a review here, as soon as possible if I have complaints...LOL