Honored Contributor

I would buy flooring (carpet, tile, etc.) from a local flooring company. Less hassle and prices for parts & labor are usually very competitive. 

Honored Contributor

Before I bought from Home Depot, I checked large and small flooring companies out.

The prices were about the same.  I decided on carpet that had a 25 year warranty and was pet proof.  Home Depot had the best option.

And, their installation was perfect.  I chose a carpet with a design and pile....not easy to install.

The flooring place I have been using since 1988 went out of business because the owner passed.  The carpet install was not so great, especially on the stairs. One time, the tacks came out and the carpet pulled away like a magic carpet while I was walking down.  Thankfully, I didn't get hurt, but it shook me up.

I now notice the seams on my vinyl flooring in the main bath.  The floor looks like new, but the installation was again, not perfect.  I want to replace it.

I know that Home Depot will make it right, even after years have passed by.  My local business did not.

Be careful....the installation is just as if not more important than the carpet you choose. Make sure you are offered a guarantee in writing.

Respected Contributor

We got rid of all of our carpeting last fall and went with the same LVP throughout the whole house. No bumps to walk over between rooms and no carpeting to clean anymore. LOVE IT!

Esteemed Contributor

@AlsaceGal 

Since you will be selling it, if you have hardwood, you may want to find good large  area carpets ( I have found really large ones at certain thrift stores ).  Less expensive and you may want to take them with you.

Another idea I have used is to go to a discount carpet store ( Giant was the I used ) and find a remnant.  You may to use only a large piece.  They can bind the cut edge...inexpensive cost / linear foot.

Good Luck whatever you do !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

@jlkz 

Thank you for your suggestions. The carpet was here when we purchased the house 19 years ago. I know there's hardwood underneath, just not the condition.

I'm having an installer out and he'll find out the condition. There's a limit to what I'll spend. In September I had a new roof installed and two small bathrooms new floors put down, vanities and paint and light fixtures.

I need new counter tops in the kitchen. 

Trusted Contributor

@SaveTheTurtles 

LVP?

Respected Contributor

@AlsaceGal wrote:

@SaveTheTurtles 

LVP?

Sorry, It stands for luxury vinyl plank.

Esteemed Contributor

@AlsaceGal 

We had a new roof on our sprawling rancher 4 years ago, a new driveway 2 years ago, and last summer we had the stucco painted.  $$$$$$$$ !!!!!

I painted all 30+ pairs of shutters and the downspouts.  DH and I  did the prep and post work pulling mulch back from the surfaces, seriously cutting back all shrubs so the workers could get to the surfaces, and transplanting stuff.

Getting places ready for sale ( our home isn't going on the market ) as we did with our mountain place and with my parents' home is a lot of work and costs are hidden.  The stress level is high too.

Good Luck with this project !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@AlsaceGal wrote:

@jlkz 

Thank you for your suggestions. The carpet was here when we purchased the house 19 years ago. I know there's hardwood underneath, just not the condition.

I'm having an installer out and he'll find out the condition. There's a limit to what I'll spend. In September I had a new roof installed and two small bathrooms new floors put down, vanities and paint and light fixtures.

I need new counter tops in the kitchen. 

@AlsaceGal If you already have hardwood depending of the condition it could be a lot less expensive to refinish and add a few throw rugs than get new carpet.  Plus hardwood today is a plus for buyers.

Respected Contributor

@U of M Go Blue wrote:

Has anyone bought carpet at Home Depot or Lowes? How is it holding up? I am looking around right now.

@U of M Go Blue 

Not what you're asking exactly but about 5 years ago bought hardwoods (not vinyl) from Home Depot and absolutely love them.  Ran into someone who had the exact same ones put in about 10 years prior and he said they still look brand new.  Bruce Hardwoods if I remember correctly.

Had carpet torn out and best home decision I've ever made.  Not to say you should do the same as all of our needs differ.