Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Absolutely, @Sooner .

One of my neighbors' yard is a disgusting mess and even the trash service began to refuse their refuse.

The kids all run around barefoot and they have a swimming pool.  Just gross.

Man Embarassed Unfortunately I can imagine this!  My grandmother had chickens and people think they are cute and sweet and have NO CLUE how dirty chickens are.

I do love eggs but the ones in the store are fine. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner Chickens are indeed nasty. They carry salmonella in their gut, and it can be spread through their poop. I would never purchase a house that had backyard chickens living there. Once salmonella gets established in soil, it is very difficult to eradicate.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neighbor's Rooster

[ Edited ]

@decafno.  As long as this person follows guidelines, there will be no shared information, and anyway, if there were retaliation I would most certainly know where to point a finger.  

I spent some years negotiating mortgage backed securities and though one might think there is a very faint connection, a knife in the back is the same, everywhere.  Don't cross me.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Buy a BB gun & take him out.  Works great!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife , DH already did but his vision is poor and we just couldn't stomach the thought.

Cogito ergo sum
Regular Contributor

I understand your problem completely because my neighbor currently has goats and told me she planned on getting chickens and a rooster. I, too, submitted a complaint to code enforcement , who wrote her up with a notice to get rid of them in 30 days. Our local ordinance prohibits livestock on properties less than three acres. My neighbors property is less than a half acre.  It's been over 30 days and code enforcement has not been back yet. We have several community organizations that I decided to join and will take my complaint to them.  Let them take care of it.  I've been told that several neighbors are angry at me because I filed a complaint.  If you want livestock, buy a farm!  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

For all those that have some nostalgia for the family farm, suburbia is not the place for it.  A well-kept chicken or two, I could see.  Well-kept being the operative.

@nascarfan I totally get it.  At one point I could imagine ponies next door.  Another day the ducks next door were attempting to kill one of the chickens and it just drove home for me, "these people have no clue"!

I keep fish in an aquarium.  I try to provide quality of life for my pets.  Carnage is not why I keep the creatures.  My fish pretty much coexist peacefully.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@decafno.  As long as this person follows guidelines, there will be no shared information, and anyway, if there were retaliation I would most certainly know where to point a finger.  

I spent some years negotiating mortgage backed securities and though one might think there is a very faint connection, a knife in the back is the same, everywhere.  Don't cross me.

@Sweetbay magnolia  Good for you!  I only asked because our state just passed a law that no local code violations will be investigated unless the complainant identifies themselves.  The only exception is safety violations.
Trusted Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Sooner Chickens are indeed nasty. They carry salmonella in their gut, and it can be spread through their poop. I would never purchase a house that had backyard chickens living there. Once salmonella gets established in soil, it is very difficult to eradicate.

@On It  Yes, they are nasty, and I never even gave the salmonella issue a thought!  Thus, the reason there are codes.  It seems people nowadays think the codes and the rule of law do not apply to them.  And they do whatever they want.  We see this throughout our neighborhoods.    

Trusted Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia  Good for you!  I only asked because our state just passed a law that no local code violations will be investigated unless the complainant identifies themselves.  The only exception is safety violations.

@decaf & @Sweetbay magnolia I know what you're going though.  I live in a residential area where everything is zoned Residential.  People in the next block got two goats.  Before I made a complaint with our county zoning office, I checked and sure enough, the property has to be an acre and a half to house farm animals.  I made the complaint, received a confirmation from the county that they would look into it, and the residents had 30 days.  It's been over 30 days, and I see the goats are still in their yard.  Also, these residents found out from the county who made the complaint and informed me they are getting chickens as well!  I haven't decided what my next step will be.  Sad people think laws don't apply to them.  What a different world we live in.