Honored Contributor

CINDY HATTERSLEY'S "NEW-OLD" LIVING ROOM

[ Edited ]

A while ago, I posted designer Cindy Hattersley's downsized master bedroom, as they had simplified and moved to a smaller fixer-upper, built in the 1930's.

Now she's posted her living room, which to me has the same relaxed comfort as the bedroom she showed.

I always like the classic paint color, Benjamin Moore's "White Dove" she uses,  as it is not a bright white, but a soft, yet complex vanilla.  Looks mellow with all her vintage things.   She said she hasn't yet found the right area rug.   This is looking from the entrance:

If you saw the master bedroom in this house before, you'll remember that it was in much worse shape than this living room when they started.  Here's the bland, but perfectly decent "before" living room:

See those small shelves in the arch-top niches?   This is so interesting--  she said she's not much for a lot of smaller objects, she knew she didn't want to fill those shelves with distracting bibelots, I guess!  So she removed the shelves, and used the niches to display handsome old shutters from her previous house. 

To me, this adaptation shows she really knows her own decorating style.  Close-up on the niches below, which also shows another intriguing little arrangement of stacked boxes on the chest on the side.  Chinoiserie chair was thrifted, and I love the two different fabrics she used on it:

Linen curtain panels are from Pottery Barn.  Comparable bamboo bliinds available at Home Depot.  As usual, she lists the origins of almost everything--  love that!  That single-bench couch looks cozy.

They purchased no new furniture at all for this room--  the only new piece is the Pottery Barn fireplace screen.   Another thing that I like that she does, is she salts vintage wood cutting boards in unexpected rooms-- here it's a "tray" for that bowl of coral.  (I've used mine as a decorative tray too, but it doesn't look as good!)

The mantel:  The mirror was a long-ago Horchow purchase.  That charming little boy oil portrait was a thrifting find, and she combines it here with her antique lawn bowling pins, and terra cotta potted topiaries.

Old, faux grain-painted chests seem to be a theme with her-- I believe there was one in the bedroom too.   Love her well-chosen vintage boxes scattered about.

She's more for exciting textures than she is for colors.  (I tend to like both, but she's a master of this quiet "texturama".)  Said she didn't want a lot of different colors in this corner cupboard, so is displaying her vintage and native baskets there instead.  Love the paintings and old frames throughout.  Always gives me very much the feeling of "Old California".

And this shot below gives a glimpse of the dining room through the graceful arched opening:

More texture, notably in that nubbly lamp and twig table.

From what I've seen on her blog, this new interation of a living room once again reflects her understated, yet confidently informed design style to a 'T".

Valued Contributor

Re: CINDY HATTERSLEY'S "NEW-OLD" LIVING ROOM

Lovely mixture of texture and color but I think it would be hassle to dust, especially the blinds.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love it, especially the paint color.

Respected Contributor

I find the inconsistencies in the window coverings annoying.  In the first photo, the curtain rod is above the thin molding and closer to the ceiling with the matchstick blinds directly under the curtain rod giving it a flow, the window to the right, the curtain rod is hung lower than the molding with the matchstick blinds hung 12-18 inches below the curtain rod exposing the wall, it is the same with the curtains that are behind the couch and I do not know if there is a window on the other side of the fireplace.  Yes, the windows are two different heights within the same room.  Normally, an illusion is created by placing the curtain rods of all three at the same height, meaning the highest one, then the matchstick blinds are installed directly under the curtain rod (not exposing the wall) and the drapes on either side.  This creates the illusion of the windows all being the same height as well as a more pleasing appearance.

Honored Contributor

Love it.  I especially like what she did with the niches.  I agree with her thoughts on shelves with a lot of little nothings on them; I'd much rather display the shutters!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have white dove on my fairly large woodwork in my old old home. I started using that color in 1993, it is truly a classic nice creamy white.   

Also note the wood trim that is about 1 foot from the ceiling is called the "picture rail", and that was used for hanging pictures on walls. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the furnishings, colors, and most of the accessories. It looks cozy, comfortable, and "lived in" to me.

I don't like removing the shelves in the niches, and I don't care for the distressed shutters she placed there. I also wouldn't select a random child portrait for art. 

As @Somertime posted, the different heights of the windows & curtain rods is a bit strange. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Soft, serene, comforting and I really enjoy that the ideas are accessible....financially and practically. The White Dove is a major impact and sets the tone,  For me, I would have books on those shelves, but the shutters were a personal design choice that was more creative than my ever present books. I would probably make a different choice on the window treatments and addressed the different heights, but really a beautiful room that is homey, traditional, and reflective of her personal design choices.  Great suggestions for a normal size room that many could implement.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell  This is exactly my style of decor, colors, architecture and accessories! I would feel right at home. I tried straying from this style thinking I could get used to a different style. Boy was I wrong. Thank you for sharing these pics and the inspiration! 

Honored Contributor

Good points, @Somertime --  not sure why she didn't go for that universal height thing with the window tx's.  But, it didn't bother me, for some reason.  The 1930's anomalies of the house seemed a bit "forgiving" to me, maybe.  I remember some kind of funkiness with the architecture of the bedroom windows, too.

Love your points, @phoenixbrd . I like that 'accessibility' factor as well,  yet it was so clearly "her".

My pleasure, @HonestLife --  I would like your home!