Esteemed Contributor

I've posted about this before.  Two doors down there lives a rooster (half acre lots).  I am beyond annoyed.  Not only are we not zoned for "fowl", having a rooster is extremely inconsiderate.

I contacted code enforcement and a notice of violation has been issued.  What appears to have happened now, is, the neighbor has simply moved the bird a bit farther back on the property.  What?  It's still very audible.  (They are also to rid the property of the turkey(!) and hens they own.)

There is a new subdivision being built behind us.  Fancy, pricey homes.  The rooster owner has thirty days to comply and apparently, it's on me to file another report if they don't.  I'm almost at the point where I will wait for the "new" folks to move in.  I don't see this as something "they" will tolerate.  Aarghh.  It's a nice cool morning and I'd like to open the back door and greet the day without the cockle doodle doo.  He's really screechy.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

That would drive me bonkers !

Respected Contributor

I love the sound of a rooster crowing...from a distance. I think we are allowed to have hens in my town, no roosters in the incorporated limits. When I first moved into my new development, a lady thought she was in the country and got a rooster who would stand under her neighbor's bedroom window and crow each morning as the sun was rising. The neighbor asked her to get rid of him or not let him run free but she ignored him. He mysteriously disappeared some time later... I would gladly trade your rooster for my neighbor's barking dogs. She has 6, one being a hound who howls and then starts the others to barking. She apparently is oblivious to their barking.

Esteemed Contributor

I mean, the neighbor may find it comforting to know the rooster is out there.  But would you not consider your neighbors?  And then, why is it incumbent on me to try and find a "diplomatic" solution to a problem which by all rights should not even exist?

I have another neighbor with a collection of barnyard animals (no rooster, though) who has expressed empathy towards the rooster owner, as if, if only "someone" had talked to them about the rooster, they would have gladly re-homed him.  (No knowledge that I reported them.)

Seriously?  Zoning enforcement has written them up and they move it a few feet back on the property?  I doubt they would have budged an inch for me, with a neighborly complaint.

Cogito ergo sum
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Definitely zoning enforcement should address this but, if it's like my county, they won't. People can be so un-neighborly; hope they realize soon that they're being a nuisance.  The new neighbors may not be so patient as you've been.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia definitely annoying.  What does your local code provide as the violation for harboring roosters, barking dogs, etc?  Maybe all they could do is issue a 30 day warning for the first report?  What happens if there's another complaint?  You could be waiting a very long time for the new neighbors to move in and complain.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops , nobody really wants to start trouble, and in this end of town, the old neighborhoods that were formed as fee simple with no HOA often get shrugged off.

As if an HOA can solve all of the ills of community living.  Not true.  Been there, done that.  To me it just absolves municipalities of responsibility as residents pay out the nose for "services".  And pay property taxes, to boot!

I'll call the inspector back if, in 30 days, the problem has not been resolved.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia I think filing a second complaint if the neighbors do nothing more or living with the noise is your only choice.

You didn't say, but from my life in your kind of territory, I would guess there is no consequence beyond a notice for a first complaint.

And do keep in mind that laws and rules no matter whether they come from statehouses or property offices really only work when citizens agree to follow them.  When I sat in an intro philosophy class way back when, I really did not understand the need for a concept of the social contract and how our lives are changed so drastically as people choose to make their own rules - whether that's owning a noisy rooster where it's illegal, driving drunk when it's both illegal and dangerous, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Couldn't have said it better, @millieshops !

I will call again.  I have the inspector's direct line.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Where I live trains aren't even allowed to blow the whistle during night time hours.  Actually I like the sound of the train whistle.  Not sure what the rules are for a Rooster........