Honored Contributor

@fthunt ...sock monkeys!  My mom made those as well. I wish I would have saved mine.  She sewed our clothes, and also smocked some things.  She knitted as well!  

She was not a great cook but was able to decorate cakes.  I remember a few doll cakes she made me for my birthday.

Great memories.

Respected Contributor

My grandmother made clothes (coats, swim suits, work suits, dresses, etc.), sweaters, and afghans for me until she passed on when I was 38. She went to college for business when she was 40. She taught me how to cook and embroider, and tried to teach me how to knit and crochet. She provided for my mom and my grandfather during the Depression with those skills. My mom ended up wanting "store bought" clothes, but I treasured everything she made for me. I still have a sweater that she made for me and for my baby back in the 90's and a couple afghans. I used a character loosely based on my grandmother in one of my novels. I greatly admire people with those skills and wonder if they received the respect for their creations that they deserve.

Esteemed Contributor

Your mother was very talented! The stuffed animals are adoreable, and I sure remember that style of bridesmaid's dresses from the late 60s and early 70s....very pretty. I'm trying to remember the chain shoe store that would dye our pumps to match the dresses for weddings and proms. Does anyone remember?

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

I had the same bunny.  I love to sew.  When my kids were young & money tight I sewed everything from drapes, placemats, tree skirts, costumes and more!

I loved sewing for my GD I enjoyed making her cute outfits.

Oh what fun memories thinking about those fun days!  My mom crocheted and the afghans she made are still my fav even after a zillion washes over 30 years.

I sewed my bridesmaids dresses, my veil and various other things for my friends -- I thought about making my wedding dress but too intricate and time consuming & cheaper to buy at the time.

Thanks for sharing🙂

Contributor
@Jannabelle ---- Hi, I've been a St. Louis gal all my life, currently not far from South County Mall. I was a bridesmaid in 5 weddings in my earlier years. Every single one required matching shoes to dress, naturally, and back then the only store everyone went to for this "dye the shoes" process was Bakers Shoe Store in downtown St. Louis. They were the best!
Contributor
Added for Jannabelle: Bakers Shoe Store was also the only store in town that had the best looking, and best fitting shoes anywhere!!
Super Contributor

Wow that is wonderful....... I love those bridesmade dresses.  So very special.  That is a lot of work.  Some people are so talented.  My mom was an amazing knitter.  I so wish I would have picked that up from her.  One of these days I will teach myself to crochet or soething along those lines.  thank you for sharing.  Just Lovely and very special.

@wilma wrote:

My mom sewed a lot. She used to make our clothes and even made the bridesmaid dresses for my sister’s wedding. She also made dolls & stuffed animals to help raise money for our church. One of my sisters sews a little, but the rest of us never did acquire that skill. 

Thinking about her & missing her. She passed away in 2012. My siblings and I each have a few of her dolls & animals.  

The stuffed animal dolls I have

0F33A51B-C1FB-4DB4-9C21-1F6BE62C4747.jpeg

My sister’s wedding October 1970. I’m the little girl. 

A551AEEC-049F-4FFD-AA09-CCD57847C2E4.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Your mom was  very talented.  My mother loved to sew and use to make baby bibs, blankets, etc.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

She was very talented! That wedding photo reminds me of my brother's wedding photo, they were married in 1972.....Amazing work your mom did! My dad passed in 2012, and I miss him every day!

Respected Contributor

@wilma 

I'm sorry about your Mom's passing.

She had quite the sewing skill.  Those animal dolls are very sweet.

Wonderful memories to be cherished & hold her close to your heart always.  Heart