Highlighted
Contributor

We have a couch in our family room that we basically

have to climb over to raise and lower the shade on our

large Bay Window.

I never ever thought of even considering this but I would now love

to have motorized blinds of some sort.

I would love to hear any recommendations/opinions you may have.

Thank you kindly.

Respected Contributor

I called our local blind company and had them installed.

They are wonderful!   Did get a lesson on how the motors that they use are not of Chinese origin so ask when you have someone come to the house.

I don't mind doing things myself but I like that the rep came with fabric samples, explained the motor, showed me what I was going to get, measured everything, gave me a price immediately and 4 wks later I have blinds.

Press the remote and up they go, press and down they go, you can also stop anywhere you would like.

Looking in you can see shadows so make sure you know upfront if that's acceptable to you or maybe they can recommend a different type of fabric.

I keep my remote on the wall so I know where it is, fastened with velcro.

You will love them and the convenience of just pushing a button to raise and lower.

The fabric I picked can either be horizontal or vertical and I chose for the fabric to go vertical, gives an elongated look.

Good Luck, well worth the investment.

Contributor

I have the exact same set up in the living room.  I did the motorized blind and love having it.  I think you would be happy with them too.  I can't imagine having to climb over the couch everytime I want to raise or lower the blind.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoganPup We have Hunter Douglas motorized blinds for our large (high up) windows in our townhouse.   We also had them in our previous home that we had built 20 years ago.  They are the best and when open all the way you can barely see them as they go up like an accordian.  Hunter Douglas is made in the USA and is the best quality.  My DH researches everything before he purchases.    Ours were custom made.

Honored Contributor

Make sure to check the warranty on whatever brand you buy.  My shades are Hunter Douglas - not motorized - honeycomb top-down bottom-up.  Every five years or so I have to take them in to repair a broken cord.  When that happens, I'm without a shade for 6-8 weeks - and much longer since the pandemic started.

Honored Contributor

I'm all about low maintenance, I don't want anything more in my house that needs service, etc.   If my couch was in the way, I would rearrange the couch.

Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I called our local blind company and had them installed.

They are wonderful!   Did get a lesson on how the motors that they use are not of Chinese origin so ask when you have someone come to the house.

I don't mind doing things myself but I like that the rep came with fabric samples, explained the motor, showed me what I was going to get, measured everything, gave me a price immediately and 4 wks later I have blinds.

Press the remote and up they go, press and down they go, you can also stop anywhere you would like.

Looking in you can see shadows so make sure you know upfront if that's acceptable to you or maybe they can recommend a different type of fabric.

I keep my remote on the wall so I know where it is, fastened with velcro.

You will love them and the convenience of just pushing a button to raise and lower.

The fabric I picked can either be horizontal or vertical and I chose for the fabric to go vertical, gives an elongated look.

Good Luck, well worth the investment.

Such wonderful info, now I'm really excited to get this done.

I will take all your pointers into consideration.  Thank you

for taking the time to respond.

Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@LoganPup We have Hunter Douglas motorized blinds for our large (high up) windows in our townhouse.   We also had them in our previous home that we had built 20 years ago.  They are the best and when open all the way you can barely see them as they go up like an accordian.  Hunter Douglas is made in the USA and is the best quality.  My DH researches everything before he purchases.    Ours were custom made.

Wonderful, I'm really wishing I had thought of doing this a long time ago.

I know Hunter Douglas has been around a long time and I will also follow-up

on this.  Thank you for your response.

Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Make sure to check the warranty on whatever brand you buy.  My shades are Hunter Douglas - not motorized - honeycomb top-down bottom-up.  Every five years or so I have to take them in to repair a broken cord.  When that happens, I'm without a shade for 6-8 weeks - and much longer since the pandemic started.

Good advice, will keep this in mind.

Thank you!

Contributor

@software wrote:

I'm all about low maintenance, I don't want anything more in my house that needs service, etc.   If my couch was in the way, I would rearrange the couch.

Funny, when I wrote my post I was thinking someone would tell me to

move the couch.  I wish I could, no room!     

Spoiler
Spoiler
😊