Honored Contributor

Mine was built in above the wall oven so I don't understand the concern about heat being a factor.  If I had my druthers and a big kitchen island I think I would prefer one in the island which so there would be no reaching UP to put food in/take food out, although some also might not like the idea of stooping to do it.  Short people problems.

Trusted Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

I have the microwave on a counter that is between the fridge and the stove.  Now I am wondering if this is a good place for it? Thoughts and advice please!Woman Happy

The instructions should tell you where it should and shouldn't go.

Honored Contributor

I don't think putting the microwave next to the stove has an effect at all.  Look at all that are mounted right over the stovetop and heat rises.  On the counter next to the stove, they're not exposed to much heat.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

For me, I would not give up an inch of counter space for a microwave.  Mine is an above the stove microwave, it contains two exhaust fans and an under counter light.  Looks great, works well and I am a happy camper!

@Somertime 

Mine is like that too.  The only problem I have is in cleaning the interior.  It's hard to reach the back and top of interior without a step-ladder.  So, I enlist my DH's help in doing that.  Smiley Happy  I would never put a microwave on the counter top space either.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

F0A263F4-EC08-44D5-91CB-DF55A3532FAC.jpeg

Valued Contributor

In my current home, my microwave is on the counter near to the refrigerator. In my previous homes, I have had the microwave above the stove. Those microwaves had a fan and lights.  I have a fan above my stove that vents to the outside in my current home and I wouldn't replace it. If I had to remodel my kitchen, I'd get one of those microwave drawers in the island. 

Honored Contributor

Ours has its own shelf on built in cabinetry. I didn’t want to lose the counter space. Most people I know have theirs sitting on the counter or on a separate cart if it’s not above the stove. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Microwave Placement

[ Edited ]

Well, my answer to this is a little "wonky." I don't like microwaves, period. I removed the one installed by the builder over the cooktop -- hated bumping my head on it when cooking and I felt it blocked my ability to lift pot lids, look into pots, etc. I didn't use a microwave much if at all so it was an easy decision.

When I sold the house, the new owner insisted I put a microwave above the cooktop -- wouldn't buy the house without it!  I said he could put it in, and he'd made an offer on the house without the microwave, but my realtor said "don't fight it" and she paid for the new microwave and installation.

Now, if I were to ever have a microwave I'd like one of those that is built into a kitchen island. But guess what? I hate built-in kitchen islands and if I find a house I like but it has one of those islands, chances are I'm removing it!  I guess I'm just not much help on this question, am I? Sorry...

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

I have the microwave on a counter that is between the fridge and the stove.  Now I am wondering if this is a good place for it? Thoughts and advice please!Woman Happy

@FlowerBear  If that's the most convenient place for you, that's where it should be. I agree with those saying the heat from the stove shouldn't be a problem.

When we built our house years ago, we had a cabinet just for the microwave...not a built-in microwave, just a space where we could set it out of the way. When we removed the wall that cabinet was on, we had an island installed, and there is an opening in it for the microwave--again, not a built-in microwave, this opening is just a nicely finished niche, that is big enough for almost any microwave on the market. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Microwave Placement

[ Edited ]

With the microwave next to the fridge, you won´t have too far to go.

@FlowerBear  do what´s convenient for you.

I do not like the over the counter microwaves. Too dangerous for short people.