Respected Contributor

Maytag washing machine flawed !

Four months ago, I purchased a brand new Maytag washing machine, one of the most expensive in the line, front loading.  Now, it has a leak coming from underneath it.  The repairman said he has to order a ''new boot for it , they are hard to replace the boots on and it will take a while to get one''.  I am so bummed !  I'm glad I bought the extended warranty for this awful machine because I have a feeling I'm going to need it ! #neveragainMaytag

Respected Contributor

Re: Maytag washing machine flawed !

If your Maytag is only four months old, it should be under warranty through the manufacturer. 

Extended warranties, waste of money IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, this is concerning! I have an ancient Kenmore washer and dryer. In my previous house I had a Maytag front loader that I just loved and I planned to buy the front loading pair when what I have needs to be replaced.

I presently have these and an ancient DW which I hope continue to chug along. All 3 are 20 years old. Nothing today is made to last! Still paying off the new HVAC that needed to be replaced after just 20 years.

Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Four months ago, I purchased a brand new Maytag washing machine, one of the most expensive in the line, front loading.  Now, it has a leak coming from underneath it.  The repairman said he has to order a ''new boot for it , they are hard to replace the boots on and it will take a while to get one''.  I am so bummed !  I'm glad I bought the extended warranty for this awful machine because I have a feeling I'm going to need it ! #neveragainMaytag

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  We really do rely on our washers and dryers more than we know.  When I was looking to buy a new washer, a local appliance store that is the " go to" place for everyone, highly recommended Maytag.  One reason being that the parts were so easy to get. 

Honored Contributor

Maytag was acquired by Whirlpool in 2006. I wish it wasn't.

My old Maytag washer was 36 years old. It developed a small leak and I bought a new Whirlpool. I wish I had gotten the old Maytag machine repaired.

Respected Contributor

We as consumers need to do something about these awful, expensive appliances that don't last. 

I had trouble with my front load washer within the first year and it was the water pump.  Glad it was in warranty, but such an inconvenience for me. 

I've purchased 3 new refrigerators within 6 years.  Once the years warranty expired they stopped working.  All 3 were major repairs ($900+).

We just bought new refrigerators.

Something HAS to be done. 

Respected Contributor

@deeva    Yes, it is still under warranty....I'm more concerned about the aggrevation of it all !  I purchased it from our local Lowes store and the employee I purchased it from, which by the way, happened to be a ''life long friend'' who has worked at Lowes for over 30 years in the appliance department, highly recommended that I get the extended warranty with this machine.  It has a lot of bell and whistles ....and the way they make things these days, something is likely to go wrong.  Big mistake buying this machine.

Esteemed Contributor

When appliance shopping I will be looking to buy items with the fewest "bells & whistles".

The reason many of my appliances are 20 years old is that they have no computerized or electronic parts. It's all manual. They were purchased by the original owners when this place was built. I LOL'd when I first saw them.  Over a year later I am no longer laughing, just grateful that they are still working.

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

We as consumers need to do something about these awful, expensive appliances that don't last. 

I had trouble with my front load washer within the first year and it was the water pump.  Glad it was in warranty, but such an inconvenience for me. 

I've purchased 3 new refrigerators within 6 years.  Once the years warranty expired they stopped working.  All 3 were major repairs ($900+).

We just bought new refrigerators.

Something HAS to be done. 

What are we supposed to do as consumers?
We can bad mouth the brand but in the long run it doesn't mean a thing because eventually we will run out of choices.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last January, my old washer of 20+ years had the bearing on it go on it.  I, like you, went to Lowes and purchased a Matag top loader.  It didn't have the agitator but rather the plates that move back and forth.  It also had the fancy digital panel and  HD water saver.  

Not only did I hate this machine from day one because it didn't dispense enough water for proper cleaning and rinsing, but it would stop between cycles and you couldn't get it to go again.  More times than I want to remember, did I have to take sopping wet clothes out of the washer and have to hand wring them, only to have to take them to a local laundromat to rewash and rinse them.  

I had made several calls to Maytag, now owned by Whirlpool and several repairmen tried to fix it.  They replaced just about every part that could go wrong and even replaced some of the parts TWICE, to no avail.  The machine was a lemon!  

This machine was under the one year warranty and one of the repairmen told me to call Whirlpool/Maytag and tell them what was going on as they would have on record all the repairs made on the machine already.  I did just that, and Whirlpool decided to credit me $850 toward a new Maytag/Whirlpool machine of my choice (actually this amount was more than I paid for the original machine).  If I wanted something more expensive, I would have to pay the difference. 

After much research, I decided to go with Maytag's commercial top loader for residential use.  It was the best decision I ever made.  This machine is a work horse, much more powerful motor,  full warranty on ALL parts and service for  5 years and it had the agitator which is what I wanted in the first place.  Not only that, but it's not one of the HD machines that only allow a tiny bit of water.  This machine has a full water fill or half water fill.  Love everything about it!  

So, choose wisely when making a decision on a new washer.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!