Esteemed Contributor

We are putting marble counters in the master bath. Don’t think I would be brave enough to put it on the floor or in the shower.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovethgedress  Congratulations on your re-model. JMO, but we live in our house and if we can't live comfortably and enjoy our entire home, then we would go on to plan two as far as choices for the furnishings.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

@sockmonkey

Wow, I love your new bathroom!! Great job picking everything out. On a side note, I have always heard to stay away from marble because of its porous tendencies.

We went with Quartz for kitchen and bath, but a marble look. When ppl come over, they are amazed it is Quartz and not marble. 

Advice from a designers and installer perspective: 

Quartz: The Surface No Acidic Opponent Can Beat
The undisputed, unbeaten champion of the Porous Test, quartz is non-porous. Quartz’s non-porous nature allows it to resist staining much better than granite, marble and concrete. Quartz can repel the harshest spills, from juice to oil to tomatoes, coffee and more.

Quartz is also the cleanliest of America’s most popular countertop surfaces. Its non-porous surface means it will not harbor bacteria or viruses. Plus, quartz is available in a larger variety of colors than stone surfaces, delivering all of the style of marble and all the durability of granite, but none of the porosity.

Again, love your choices, including the paint color, it looks just beautiful. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

We have had marble, emperador light, on our bathroom counter for 15 years and we love it!  NEVER had a problem with it and I don't know when the last time we sealed it was.  We also have it in the shower floor in the small tiles, and in the surround around the bathtub

The floors and shower walls are a porcelain tile that blend perfectly with it.  

I don't know what people do to bathroom counters that concerns them about granite and marble, and the thing about cleaning and sealing all the time has NEVER been a problem for us and we've had granite in the kitchen for 20 years.  If you spill nail polish and lipstick on counters, perhaps that would be an issue. 

That being said, water doesn't sit on the bathroom counter, I don't pour nail polish on it, I don't let puddles of perfume settle on it.  I sprayed my hair over it every day and so did husband, but I don't recall that being a problem.  I guess it gets cleaned up when we clean.

If you are a terribly messy person and don't clean up your messes, you might have a problem.   Otherwise?  Our life has gone on unhindered with the marble for a long time.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Master bath remodel

[ Edited ]

We completely gutted our Master Bath August 2016, pulled out the large tub and put in a large shower instead.  We took what was the shower and put in a built in wall unit that gives us a ton of storage.  The floor and wall tile are Italian porcelain and the vanity top is quartzite.  LOVE THEM BOTH and so happy we chose those materials.  Here is a picture as our contractor was almost finished. MasterBath.png Good luck.  Let us know what you choose.

Trusted Contributor

@nyc1

😍really nice!!!

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

I like ceramic tile. You can really achieve a lot of looks with the different sizes and colors that are on the market. I have three bathrooms in our older home and I have ceramic in all of them. I have  Corian countertops and really like them. Easy to clean and look nice. 
The fixtures is where the big costs enters. Stick to your budget and find the best for that amount. The inside of the fixture is the most important part. Avoid those plastic or compound fittings. In our experience they break quickly.  Don't be opposed to a shower curtain rod. I had replaced all of ours with shower doors or glass tub doors first. Recently, I had to replace the shower doors in the one bathroom and did it with the shower curtain rod. There are a ton of choices on the market with the liners and the outer drape. I was so pleased with the look and the amount of extra space we gained inside the shower. (I have oversized or undersized bahtrooms due to the age of the home ) It really was budget friendly. Hope some of these help you. 

Contributor

Hi ID2,

Great minds . . . 

I looked at thousands of mirrors before I saw those!

Contributor

Hi LMB,

Thank you so much! 

In the kitchen we used quartz but when I saw that light blue marble, I couldn't resist.  (I'm a big Larimar lover : )

SM

Contributor

Re: Master bath remodel

[ Edited ]

NYC1

Your bathroom is Stunning!