Valued Contributor

I smile everytime I see my beautiful carrera marble countertop.  It is like a piece of art in my bathroom.

However, for the floor tiles, we chose porcelain (inside the shower as well as the bathroom floor) due to ease of maintenance.

I went into the masonry place (which would have been happy selling me marble or tile) thinking I wanted marble tile.  It was beautiful!   After weighing the pros and cons, what was most important to me was virtually no upkeep on my floors with porcelain.

It has been almost a year since my remodel and I am very happy with my choices.

After each shower, we use the hand held attachment to rinse down the shower.  That is all we need to do to keep it clean.

Good luck on your remodel!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

My dear brother in law refuses to remodel their bathroom. It has vinyl flooring from the early 90s, dated vanity and a tub with soap scum and mold.  He claims it's a waste of money spent there to redo it. he said as long as everything works, why spend upwards of 10,00O dollars??. My sister has been arguing for years about redoing it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Master bath remodel

[ Edited ]

@sockmonkey wrote:

NYC1

Your bathroom is Stunning!

@sockmonkey Thank you.  It was a lot of work and research, but we feel well worth it.  I'm sure you understand.  You did a really nice job as well. 

Honored Contributor

@lovethgedress  I wouldn't use it on the floor as I think it is slippery.

Respected Contributor

A friends husband is a retired contractor and said the only tile he would put in his bathroom is travertine. For what it's worth this man ran a 6 figure business for 30 years. I take what he says seriously.

Esteemed Contributor

We did ceramic porcelain in the master shower. Both full baths have wood looking ceramic porcelain tiles on floor. I love it.

EBE093FE-F407-4591-98D8-035BAB099362.jpeg0A76D268-D9B8-433A-BB45-E41015E3D581.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Personally,  I would not use marble because it is high maintenance and not practical.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the input. I was all set on marble until I started looking into the cleaning and upkeep. I think I'll look into ceramic or porcelain with some marble accents.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never put marble at the base of a shower stall or on the floor - too slippery. I just tiled my stall shower up to the ceiling, tub surround/and wall over tub, and floor in dressing area/toilet/walk-in closet. I put large-size porcelain tiles in the stall shower, with a row of designer tiles under the shower nozzle, used the same designer tiles in the large niche (where I keep shampoo/soaps), which has a shelf, and small colorful rocks at base of shower (not slippery). On the tub surround and the wall over the tub - the same large-size porcelain tiles. On the floor, I used longer tile planks that blended with the tiles in shower/tub surround. The same designer tiles were inserted throughout the floor. I also tiled my staircase --- porcelain planks were put on top of each step. On the face of each step, those small colorful rocks were placed.

All the tiles - especially the porcelain planks are textured - so it's NOT slippery.

Gorgeous!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Lovely bathroom!!!! My bathroom is horrible from top to bottom---needs to be gutted to the framing--new everything as well the rest of this 31 year old house. Having a really hard time getting the hubs convinced it needs to be done---he built it in 1986 and seems to be blind to it's many faults. But dang if he doesn't have a 5 car garage!!!!