Honored Contributor

Re: MORE INTIMATE LIVING ROOMS

I do like the space of the room but that is about it.  I do not feel any warmth or character in it and I would empty it out and redo it to my taste.  It needs color whether on the walls or furnishings and the rug is blah.  With changes it could be a stand out.

Honored Contributor

I'm interested that some are getting a Fifties feeling from the room.  The spirit of the room is Art Deco, a style from the Twenties and Thirties, long before midcentury, and quite different.  Think of luxury ocean liners of the period, the stylized Astaire/Rogers films of the Thirties, the ones for which Van Nest Polglase (sp?) was the set designer. I could also so easily see Thirties icon Jean Harlow sipping a cocktail, wearing a slinky bias cut gown and staring out the window...

The knock on Deco and 'Deco-influence' tends to be that it is formal and cold, "static" if you will.  I personally just find Gambrel's interpretation of this little room so interesting and livable for today...

Respected Contributor

I do not know whether I like this room or not!

I do think the colours and airy feeling suit this  room and I like the side tables but it is very cold feeling does not come across as Art Deco to me but just modern not luxurious kind of austere. 

Very interesting and thanks for sharing.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually like this space, although I would never decorate this way. I think it is the retro vibe that I like. It reminds me of my favorite aunt's home in the 70's. It's somewhat cramped for my taste, and I do not favor the picture above the fireplace. I think the size, and shape are misplaced.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

The furnishings are so small on the left side of the room compared to the right side, and to me, the left side of the room seems oddly to be lower than the right ! 🤔

Honored Contributor

The more I look at it, the more I like the color of the sofa. It’s too much on the drapes though. I would use a neutral shade on those. The chairs, tables, & rug are nice. I would switch out the lamps and artwork.  

Esteemed Contributor

I kind of like it. I think I could be comfortable in that space.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell Yes, I see what you mean, and the room is lovely. An element that I personally feel could be improved is the proportions of the artwork. Assuming they picked the art to go with the room, I feel the piece over the sofa just a thought too large, the painting over the fireplace just a bit too small, or maybe could be a better shape, and the one between the windows doesn't seem to fit in that space. Or maybe they had those pieces of art already, in which case my opinion is irrelevant! 

Honored Contributor

I just dont like the furniture and dont care for the color of the drapes and couch......And I dont like the artwork over the fireplace---too modern....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I don't like the room or the furnishings. This one is not for me.