Honored Contributor

Clearly, I'm on a living room kick.  To contrast with the more "homogenized",  double height living room with too many accessories, I go back to my old pal Steven Gambrel.  Here he has a small sitting area to work with (but admittedly, interesting architecture).  I think he gets the accessories right-- and not too many-- and delivers a lot of impact.

I like this, even down to the butterscotch sofa.  It's the "feeling" that the room gives.  It has a rich subtext, to me.  Coffee table, side tables, and the sleek "ocean liner" lines of the two armchairs, all whisper "Art Deco".  And unlike some more "academic" Art Deco-type rooms, it looks comfortable.  All in a very small space.

7-Astonishing-Living-Room-Ideas-By-Steven-Gambrel-2.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MORE INTIMATE LIVING ROOMS

@Oznell  Absolutely not my style.  I do not like the modern furniture (reminds me of the 1950's) and I really dislike the colors. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I don't like the drapes, lamps or couch. Maybe put the pop of color on the fireplace!

Esteemed Contributor

I like it and it is cozy, not cluttered.  The butterscotch sofa is not a color I would choose, but it works in that room.    

Respected Contributor

There is something about this room that makes me uncomfortable.  The color of the drapes, couch and lamps, for me. are too strong for a small room.  I find the size of the furniture to be overpowering.  The height of the arms on the sofa make it larger and boxy and not the right size for the room.  The same with the club chairs, perhaps if they were armless instead, they would not appear to take up so much space.  I find the furniture placement to be difficult.  Since I am 5'9", I have visions of trying to cross my legs without endangering the coffee table or even sitting on the sofa and getting the feeling of being in a confined space and I think it makes the room look even smaller.  The height of the lamps bother me as well since there is nothing of that height to relate to in the room.  I would prefer the large painting to be placed over the fireplace which would fill in the space and detract from the two recessed panels on either side.

Whew!  Nothing like having an opinion!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I would prefer this room with a different color sofa and drapes.  Also, the lamps and other metal accents which are currently in gold, would have to be changed to one of the silver tones (or black, or even ivory) to appeal to me.

I'm kind of a "modified deco" fan of that particular style, in that I enjoy the shapes more than the colors.

Honored Contributor

I would have made the sofa smaller or a love seat and in the color of the beige chairs.  I would have positioned it across from the fireplace.  I would have put the chairs in the butterscotch on either side of the fireplace.

I would have added decorative tall floor lamps, and put a butter scotch throw on back of the sofa.  That would draw your eye to the end of the room and make it seem wider.

Maybe a nice patterened rug in the middle to pull the room together. 

Honored Contributor

NO ---no--what is up with that awful gold, yellow color---geez, it is terrible!!

Super Contributor

It is done well but isn’t for me.  It is mid Century, and I am much more drawn to the English cottage coastal pictures that you shared today.  Funny, I have nostalgia for the 50’s, but not for mid Century houses or furnishings!

Honored Contributor

There's honestly not a single element in this room I find particularly appealing... Overall, it reads as too contemporary for my liking...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...