Honored Contributor

MAKEOVER OF WOODSY LAKE HOUSE

[ Edited ]

Continuing the talk about "wood" in another house post, I want to put you to the test.  This lake "cottage" is a family vacation home that got a recent sprucing up, while still retaining much of the old comfortable, casual feel.  A few vignettes:

082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_19.jpg

082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_31.jpg

Pleasant, light-filled vacation house, right?  But the owners decided to keep the wood walls in other main rooms-- what do you think of that?  I love old wood, but this is standard walling, and to me is too dark.  I'd have probably said, paint it all, and never looked back!  (OK, I might have had them leave a small area of it, like maybe in that dining section, since it at least has white ceilings.  But the rest, I'd want lightened up.)

082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_27.jpg082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_6.jpg

But maybe you think it adds needed character?  There are no 'wrong' answers!

Nice main bedroom, light-filled, with angled windows out to their superb views, and plenty of other bedrooms-- this family can sleep 18:

082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_30.jpg

082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_22.jpg

082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_8.jpg

082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_9.jpg

I like that it's an unpretentious vacation house-- clean, not over-decorated, but comfortable and pretty.  I could gaze at that water for hours...

082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_12.jpg

082716_SherwoodHouseMakeover_13.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: MAKEOVER OF WOODSY LAKE HOUSE

@Oznell   I like what they did with the place and would keep the wood walls the way they have them now.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Sign me up!  The only thing I definitely don't like is the chandelier made of dog leashes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Beautiful but some things are too modern for a lake house, but thats just me.  If I want woodsy, then woodsy it is.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I like all of it except the room with all the wood walls. Too dark for me. I like light & bright with a lot of light coming in windows.

I would never live there. Too much flooding going on today to live any place near water.

Contributor

To fancy pants for a lake home.   I am old school and love the woodsie look in a lake home.    There is something about the old screened in porch and wooden screen door to make you feel you are on vacation near a lake.

Love to watch the fire files from a screened porch late at night whether at the lake or down the shore.   Very memorable.

Respected Contributor

I like the light, bright rooms....but not for a woodland retreat.  I prefer the wood paneled look for that setting.

Respected Contributor

Love it all.  When can I move in!

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

It's nice and all but I'd have to make a lot of tweaks if it were mine.  Also, I didn't see any window treatments on any of the windows.  I don't care how secluded the house may be, I  would need something up on the windows.  I absolutely loved the outside deck area!!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I like the room with the wood ceilings and walls the best!  I have a lake house which I rent and the living room has knotty pine walls.  My girlfriend had a log cabin with absolutely beautiful wood  log walls and ceilings through out the house.  Everyone loved the look.  

It is a woodsy mountain area and I kept the decor in that style.  It was comfortable and cozy. The other rooms in the house shown are very pretty but the room with wood is for me.