Honored Contributor

Have any of you made statues, or painted anything that you display in your home?  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

I have several paintings that my mother has done displayed in my home. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal 

I have 2 of my own paintings that I did years ago. One is an ocean scene with rocks, (which I painted from a photograph) which has a Bible verse title. I did it for my Mom, and it hung in her living room for at least 30 years, and I took it when she passed away a couple years ago.

The other is a depiction from the book, "Peter Rabbit," where Peter is not paying attention to his mother, as Flopsy and Mopsy are.

I still have my large canvas waiting for my fox hunt scene. I've procrastinated painting this because I haven't come across a scene I am comfortable with. I mean, horses and all, and I haven't painted with oils in a long time.

Do you display any of your own works?

Esteemed Contributor

An oil painting my brother did for a college class hangs in my loft.

A painting that DS did as a child hangs in the guest bedroom. Love children's primitive art!

Honored Contributor

I love the warmth of having art in your house done by yourself, or by loved ones.  So meaningful...

Esteemed Contributor

I am not an “artist.”  I can draw a little, paint a little.  But I did take painting lessons for years with several teachers, specifically in Early American type painting.  Most of the time I used patterns created by various experts in this theme.  I have some in my home, and so much offered to others, saying if you want it ok, if you don’t want ok.  They always took my work and continue to display it.  Want a laugh?  My DD has so much in her home, and she claims all guests like it.  One person asked, “Does your mother have a catalog?”

I no longer paint.  Next I will be doing wool appliqué, which should be easy for me, as I did crewel embroidery for many years.  I so lament the loss in interest in learning old techniques (theorem painting, reverse glass painting, etc.).  But I understand most folks just don’t have extra time.

So take heart if you don’t have advanced artistic skills.  You don’t have to start from scratch!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I like to draw on paper with number two pencils. 

Valued Contributor

I fell in love with Wyoming and the art I saw there. Started doing oils of that landscape and horses, etc. They are all hanging in the downstairs craft area where they were painted. Had fun doing them, but the theme does not go with our decor. Also, took a Raku pottery class once and made a artist paint brush holder. That was a fun class.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @qualitygal !  When I lived in Hawaii (2012-2017), I took watercolor and mosaic classes.  My prized piece of art from the mosaic class is a piece using an actual surfboard as the base. 

1BAD4CF5-FE0B-4B8E-9159-6933CBFA1FA3.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I painted mural walls in a couple of the homes we had in years past, and I have a few of my framed paintings hanging in my current home,  I sold my sculptures however.