New Contributor

I love flameless candles, but why are Luminara candles so expensive? 

Honored Contributor

Quality  

I'd call them the Cadillac of flameless candles.  

Not only do they look realistic, I haven't had any problems with them; although, I know of a few who did.  

I had used one 24 hours a day for almost 5 years until the light began dimming.  

The remotes I am using are still working after several years of use without changing the batteries. One I have been using twice a day for over 3 years.

I like Luminara so much I have no intention of trying other brands. 

Respected Contributor

I am of the belief you get what you pay for.  I was a fan of Luminara until I found a brand with a 3d flame.  Then the flat wick, when not lit, does nothing for me.

However, last year Luminara came out with their LightLi where the wick disappears when not "lit" and a faux burnt wick appears.  I see they still only sell the ivory in the two shapes.  When they come out with additional  colors and sizes, I hope to get more. 

Considering how much I would spend on candles and replacements and more replacements, these are a bargain because they last for years.  They also don't leave soot all over my home.

Respected Contributor

@kek818  I think they are expensive due to the quality.  I have many, many ones, and have several groups of them in my home, and also have some of the nightlights. 

I tried others and they just don't look as good, and some had no timer or remote option, so now I just wander my home in the evening with the remote and turn them all on in seconds.

To get the best deal, check the "as is' section, or buy them when they are sets of 6 on a TSV.  They aren't much more then a regular or off brand when they are sold in sets and as the special of they day.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@kek818 

I think Luminara are worth the $$.  Sometimes Hobby Lobby has them on sale 50% off.  Although, I bought the TSV several years ago had various sizes -- got them in Ivory.  Price was good.

They have worked great and I like the "white" glow vs. the "orange" color of other styles. ( I have candle impressions lanterns & not a fan the color orange goes thru the whole candle.)

Luminaras are more realistic and well worth the price, IMO if TSV or "as is" pricing.  I also try to wait for free shipping day.

Esteemed Contributor

Luminara candles are the best!!! .... you get what you pay for 🥰

Esteemed Contributor

I love my Luminara candles but I have to say I am one of those who was disappointed a couple of times.  I had some (just a couple) that totally stopped working after only a couple of months, too late to send them back.  I actually have Candle Impressions candles also and have never had a problem with any of them.  The ones I own are at least 15 years old if not more.    Of course they are the older designs but I think the quality was evidently better.

Honored Contributor

@hellodali wrote:

I am of the belief you get what you pay for.  I was a fan of Luminara until I found a brand with a 3d flame.  Then the flat wick, when not lit, does nothing for me.

However, last year Luminara came out with their LightLi where the wick disappears when not "lit" and a faux burnt wick appears.  I see they still only sell the ivory in the two shapes.  When they come out with additional  colors and sizes, I hope to get more. 

Considering how much I would spend on candles and replacements and more replacements, these are a bargain because they last for years.  They also don't leave soot all over my home.

@hellodali   I was just looking at the Luminara candles and see that they now have the LightLi in ivory, red and white.  They still just have the 7" and 9" but maybe soon they'll have other colors.  I didn't know if you'd be interested or not.

I do have the ivory ones and love them.  They look so realistic.  H223770.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@NickNack  Thank you!  I'm hoping for a gray, teal or rose, but now knowing they have other colors gives me hope.  I appreciate you letting me know.

The funny thing about these candles is my cat turns them on!  She taps the top with her nose and watches the "flame" come up.  Of course, she could care less about turning them off.

Usually when I get up in the mornings I see she has been playing by candlelight all night long.

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

I take a different view of Luminara candles. I think they are way overpriced for the most part. 

First, full disclosure, I have tons of Luminara. But I have many Candle Impressions with the 'realistic flame look' and some from Bethlehem Lights that QVC carried a couple of years ago, with the flame look. Honeslty, the CI and BL ones are way better than my Luminara, but the selections/offerings of those other brands are much more limited, thus my having a lot of Luminara (along with the fact they were the first to come out with the technology).

The CI and BL ones don't actually have the wick move, it's the lighting that moves to make it look like a flicker. It's much more subdued and there isn't that annoying clicking sound that many Luminars have. There is less to malfunction, because when a Luminara 'wick' stops moving, it is definitely broken looking. 

The CI and BL candles came in so many nicer colors and finishes than Luminara as well. Nice rustic finishes, and nice tones of tans/taupes that are great for my decor. 

The BL candles actually have a touch function right on the top of the candle, to turn off, on, or set the timer so changing it doesn't require turning the candle over and removing it from the display. They even will blow out like a real candle, which is just fun. Many of my CI candles have a programmable timer, and they can be set for anywhere from one hour to 23 hours. I've found this great for using all night during storms/power outages, then easily changing when you don't need them on so long. No preset number of hours, you choose and change as needed.

And I've had a few Luminara die over the years. None of my BL and CI candles have died. Luminara seem to eat batteries faster than the other brands too. 

So I like Luminara, have many, but if I could get the CI and BL brands (they just don't offer that many of them any more in CI and none in BL) I'd pick them over the Luminara every time.