Super Contributor

I set up my three lanterns yesterday from the TSV and I am sold on Luminara....

The candles are wonderful. So my Q is that I am wondering what is the best way to go about starting a collection. I am interested in all types Taper, Pedestal whatever I am  a candle newbie.

I looked at all the groupings of four leftover from the previous TSV and the color choices leave something to be desired. Do they restock or do they just have that many TSV's you build from that?  

Trusted Contributor

I also enjoy Luminara.  They can be a little pricey.  I would start by checking  under " asis flamless candles ".They are candles that have been returned. I have bought many asis and never had any problems. 

Honored Contributor

@ChrissyKR wrote:

I set up my three lanterns yesterday from the TSV and I am sold on Luminara....

The candles are wonderful. So my Q is that I am wondering what is the best way to go about starting a collection. I am interested in all types Taper, Pedestal whatever I am  a candle newbie.

I looked at all the groupings of four leftover from the previous TSV and the color choices leave something to be desired. Do they restock or do they just have that many TSV's you build from that?  

@ChrissyKR

Welcome to your new addiction! You are in good company here!

Let me recommend the Candle Impressions Mirage line of candles if you like the real flame effect candles. They are much less expensive, have much better battery life, and programmable timers, so you choose between one and 23 hours of light, not the standard 5 or 6 other candles give you.

The compliment Luminara very well, come in what I feel are better, richer colors than Luminara and I've been really happy with them. 

Some of the Mirage lines are low on colors right now, but they have restocked them in the past, and I hope they will again. I especially recommend H205807.

Honored Contributor

The q hasn't had a good selection of luminara in a couple years.  For the most part, their prices are reasonable compared to other retailers.  I have somewhere around 20 candles, could be more?  You can find them at bed bath and beyond or Joann Fabrics and use their coupons.  Hit or miss at TJMaxx/ Home Goods.  All sell online too.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Luminara Q..

[ Edited ]

I think the only Luminaras that I've bought from QVC are my 3 lanterns when they were TSVs, 2 sets of pillars on Lunchtime Special, pillars with the 360 degree wavy top, and some of the mercury glass pillars that I gave as gifts when they were on sale for CIJ.   I also have the original window candles (tapers with the oblong chamberstick base) but I only use them around Christmas.  The rest of mine were bought at websites like BB&B, Kohls, and Brookstone, and at the time I paid a lot less for them than QVC's price.  It definitely pays to shop around.

I agree that it's a good idea to check out videos of the Mirage candles, and also of the Solare candles, in addition to the Luminaras.  I now have a mixture of the three, and I like them all.  

I just received two teal blue mottled wax 5" tall Mirage candles from BB&B website, for a little less than $10 each on clearance and with a coupon.  They still have an orange color left, I think.  They are my very first Mirage candles.  I wasn't sure that I would like the flame that just stands still, but as long as it is in a lantern or on a wall sconce, I don't mind that at all. 

Even though the Solare candles are on their way out here at QVC, Lisa Robertson is selling the new incarnation called Simplux, and they're available elsewhere as well, so if you happen to be intrigued by them, I assume they will be available elsewhere for a while at least. 

I already had two of the Solare ivory wax pillars from when they first arrived at QVC, and I've enjoyed them in a pair of sconces ever since.  I didn't think I'd like the Solare frosted glass pillars, since only the bulb illuminates and the rest of the pillar is dark, but I recently got two of the ivory ones as-is and I'm really enjoying the look of just the flame all by itself, either inside a lantern or high up on a sconce.  In a way, they seem a bit more real because they're more subtle from across a room, as a real candle would look inside an opaque container.  The frosted glass is a bit cheap looking with glue showing around its base. 

HTH.