Valued Contributor

Re: Lodge Look LR

[ Edited ]

No dead animal on the mantle, and those twine ball lights because of the dust, dust, and more dust!  Otherwise cozy looking!

Honored Contributor

Take away the animal over the fireplace and the light fixture and the silver lamp, it would be perfect!

Honored Contributor

I like all of it ..perfect lodge vacation home.

Honored Contributor

IMHO these big rooms with the high 2-story ceilings instantly lose the "cozy" intimate factor.  Since the hot air from the fireplace rises, I doubt they're even warm.  They turn me off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Lodge Look LR

[ Edited ]

I love a lodge look and the bones of this room are stellar, what with the beautiful stone work, the fabulous window wall and lovely hardwood floors. Sadly, the decor is a whole other kettle of fish... and those fish are rotten...  Let's remove everything, starting with the dead animal head and proceeding through to the trite window coverings, all the lighting, the drab rug, the unappealing chunky coffee table and finishing up with the unattractive furniture... Then, we can start over and make this room the show stopper it deserves to be...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Agree with you, @stevieb , point for point for point.  I'll never understand today's obsession with sullying timeless architecture and warm, earthy natural materials by faddish, here-today-gone-tomorrow "decor."  This gorgeous space deserved so much better.

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

Agree with you, @stevieb , point for point for point.  I'll never understand today's obsession with sullying timeless architecture and warm, earthy natural materials by faddish, here-today-gone-tomorrow "decor."  This gorgeous space deserved so much better.

@vsm  It really is a shame given a space with so much potential to let it go at that... If they paid someone to come up with this design, they should demand a refund and if they didn't pay someone to design the room, maybe they should have...

Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I like the room but would remove the animal over the fireplace.

Honored Contributor

I would empty the room of its furnishings and especially of the deer, big turn off.  I would furnish and decorate according to my taste, lots of potential in a very spacious room!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

IMHO these big rooms with the high 2-story ceilings instantly lose the "cozy" intimate factor.  Since the hot air from the fireplace rises, I doubt they're even warm.  They turn me off.

@Kachina624 I find them especially ludicrous in what amount to upscale 'tract' houses commonly known as McMansions, where this huge volume of unusable vertical space that serves no real purpose is commonplace. They usually include upper windows that can't easily be covered and other than admitting more light into rooms that usually already have adequate windows, are pointless. I'm not even sure what the appeal is supposed to be. Volume for the sake of volume, I guess, but I agree the practice robs rooms of any semblance of warmth, actual or visual.

At least in a room like this it doesn't appear as though the window wall is fully two story and it's also distinctive enough, given the window design, to be appealing. I also can appreciate that it is a window wall rather than a series of upper windows that no one can actually see out of...