Honored Contributor

What household cleaner removes rust stains from various surfaces

[ Edited ]

without harming those surfaces? Does anyone know of a good one? 

I help my older brother out with some household chores. He lives in senior housing and the water is terrible, so much rust that his tub surround and bathtub have red-ish stains as does his kitchen sink and other surfaces also. It's not something I have ever run into before, so any help is appreciated. 

Thanks for any help you can give.

Edited to add: he does NOT drink the water, even in coffee. 

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: What household cleaner removes rust stains from various surfaces

Wow!  This website says you can use Tide.https://tide.com/en-us/how-to-wash-clothes/how-to-remove-stains/rust-stains?utm_source=bing&utm_medi...

Then there's this one:https://www.stain-removal-101.com/removing-rust-stains.html

I'd go to the last one.  It looks really good and informative.

I posted the first one because it was using Tide.  I know Tide is very, very strong.  It would remove my Mother's fingernails!!

Respected Contributor

I use Barkeepers Friend. 

Esteemed Contributor

CRL or Comet

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

@itsmagic 

@qbetzforreal 

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have BarKeepers Friend, but not in powder form, I think I'll try that one first. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll use comet. I was hoping not to have to do a big scrub, but don't see any way out of that, no matter what I use.

Thanks, again.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make a paste with Barkeepers Friend and white vinegar.  Smear it on the rusted area...go have a glass of wine or lemonade or what ever you like - while it sits on the stained area.  Go back and use a Scrub Daddy (won't scratch delicate surfaces) or Mr. Clean scrubbers - those white ones - (might scratch delicate surfaces) and use the scrubber wet with white vinegar to rub the area.  It won't take much elbow grease if you let it sit a while.  If some comes off, but not all...repeat the process and have another beverage.  This is the easiest way I know.

It is is really bad...get Whink Rust Remover...it is a stronger chemical, so use gloves but it really works!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Contributor

Whink is great at removing rust!

Super Contributor

CLR - stands for calcium, lime, rust.  Its a liquid and is fabulous.  There is also a liquid rust remover that I've used to remove a rust stain from carpeting.  No scrubbing with either.

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1   If you use CLR, which is a good product, make sure you have ventilation and don't breathe in the fumes if you can help it. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone. I do appreciate all the suggestions.  I have to be careful about what I use due to my brother's breathing problem, so it can't be anything too strong. 

Thanks again.