Respected Contributor

If you are only using the two chairs until you find what you want, I would put a chair on each side of the room to balance it out.  

Super Contributor

Years ago when my husband was on a month plus long business trip, I got rid of the sofa.  I made the living room into a library/music room.  I lined the long wall with bookshelves, piano against one wall, a desk on another, and a table with chairs in the middle of the room.   We have a recliner in there as well for prolonged reading.  We use the room a lot, and I have entertained in that room as well.

We do have a family room on the main level as well, and that serves as the living room with a sofa, tv, etc.  It works for us. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Re: Life without a sofa

[ Edited ]

Still furnishing my year-old home and decided against a big sofa.  Instead, I recently got a Thomasville "Barcelona" settee in light taupe/beige leather.  

Am also considering the Ethan Allen "Hartwell" sofa for a different room.  The 74-inch version isn't too big and doesn't take up much floor space because of the trim design.

I shopped 'til I dropped trying to find these two items.  Most sofas are just too voluminous and have too many cushions that I'd have to continually  plump up and straighten out.

I agree that shopping for a sofa or any upholstered piece can be a challenge.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Still furnishing my year-old home and decided against a big sofa.  Instead, I recently got a Thomasville "Barcelona" settee in light taupe/beige leather.  (Photo shown in link below is NOT the color I chose!) Like it very much and it's just the right size for a downsized home.

Am also considering the Ethan Allen "Hartwell" sofa for a different room.  The 74-inch version isn't too big and doesn't take up much floor space because of the trim design.

I shopped 'til I dropped trying to find these two items.  Most sofas are just too voluminous and have too many cushions that I'd have to continually  plump up and straighten out.

I agree shopping for a sofa or any upholstered piece can be a challenge.

https://www.thomasville.com/i319313-barcelona-settee

http://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-furniture-living-room-sofas-loveseats/hartwell-sofa/207253.html

Both nice pieces! I especially like the Ethan Allen piece. If they had that piece with some more ornate legs, it would be a piece I'd consider as well. 

I bought several pieces of Ethan Allen furniture back in the early 80's and they are still serving me well all these decades later!

And you described the today's sofas very well 'volumuminous'! I really don't care for the whole overstuffed, excessive cushions look either. But then, some of the more slim line pieces aren't really about comfort. So finding that middle ground is always my challenge. 

@novamc1

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC link to outside retailer

Contributor

Your chairs are very pretty and I like the large window too. I wonder though, if you moved the chairs in front of the window facing towards your curio cabinet if it might improve the flow and feel of the space that you have. You might find that to be a more open and restful orientation and that you don't necessarily need more seating in there at all. Cheers!

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234, I like the bench idea.  Good seating without overwhelming the room.

@Mominohio, I got rid of my sofa and bought a high quality leather loveseat.  Chocolate brown.  Love it!!!  I have a large living room and four arm chairs as well.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  Your chairs are lovely. I would move them in front of the window and add a desk, perhaps a small writing desk along the wall where the stove heater is. Add some plants, real or faux. This will change the entire focus of your room and make it into something that is really personal and warm.

It is a charming room and it does not have to be a living room if you don't want it to be. Always think outside the box. 

I have always had a loveseat or sofa so this will give me something new to think about.Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Buckeye815 wrote:

Your chairs are very pretty and I like the large window too. I wonder though, if you moved the chairs in front of the window facing towards your curio cabinet if it might improve the flow and feel of the space that you have. You might find that to be a more open and restful orientation and that you don't necessarily need more seating in there at all. Cheers!

@Buckeye815

That is a very good idea and one I was considering just this morning. 

I'm working making and canning apple butter today, and won't have time to process that idea fully until later in the week, but I know I will loose at least one wood piece to do that, either the radio or the table in front of the window (or both). 

Great suggestion though and great to see two 'Buckeyes' think alike! Assuming with your nic you might be from Ohio?

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

20171009_103836.jpg

@Mominohio  If I had a choice of sitting in a chair such as yours or on a sofa, I would choose the chair.  In my red room, I have only a recliner, whaat else do I need. Smiley Happy  This room was the original family room, but now it is my everything room, but the room would be plenty large enough, without all of my "stuff," to accomodate sofas, chairs, and tables.