Honored Contributor

I dislike screened in porches.  The screen seems to take me away from everything.

Honored Contributor

When I was very young, my maternal  grandmother lived in a huge white farmhouse with a wide porch that covered two sides of her house.  She about a dozen wooden rocking chairs on that porch that I used to sit in and rock for hours.

We had to drive through a covered bridge and ride over a small wooden bridge Over a small stream on her long driveway to get there.  I loved that house.  She had a ton of windows with white rollup shades on them.  I remember that she crocheted pulls that were attached to the bottom.  I was intrigued by them.

She moved because the house was too big to take care of.  My older sister got one of the antique rocking chairs that was on her porch. It's in her living room now.

I would love to live in a home like that.  I love large porches and they bring back many good memories.

Respected Contributor

I am blessed to live in my dream house--a large stone Victorian with a huge wrap-around porch.

We have hosted a few parties just on the front porch!

I also have a back porch with a large deck, a sleeping porch on the second floor, and a third floor tower room with a small porch.

My home is surrounded by large trees, so I have great privacy.

I may live in the city, but my home is always an escape to nature.

They just don't build them like this anymore...

Respected Contributor

@wilma 

Both homes are beautiful, esp. the first one.  I love farmer's porches or wrap arounds.  Add one or two porch swings, maybe a small  table setting for 2, plants (of course, depending on the size porch.)

It would also be great if the home sets further back from a road, creating a more private & relaxing area to really enjoy.  I know I'd be on it most days.

The yard of the first home is a beautiful, large green space.  Wish it showed more of it.

The yard of the 2nd home .. I like the steps & landscaping.

Honored Contributor

I wanted a front porch that you could have a chair or two on.  The current house has the biggest front porch yet, but there's no room for a chair.  Grandma had a house similar to photo 2, but it was a smaller version.  She didn't have anything on it.  My sister and I hung out on it.  I was around 12 when the grandparents moved there.  Instead of sizing down, they sized up.  

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

I love house #2.  It is my dream kind of home. 

So I do have a large front porch, but it is on a home we had built in the 90's. Funny thing is - I have allergies and rarely get to sit outside on the porch, but I sure do like to decorate it and look at it.

@KathyM23 

I love house #2 also! 

I can relate to your allergy issues. I also have really bad spring & summer allergies so having a porch may not make sense for me. Still, I love them! 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

When I was very young, my maternal  grandmother lived in a huge white farmhouse with a wide porch that covered two sides of her house.  She about a dozen wooden rocking chairs on that porch that I used to sit in and rock for hours.

We had to drive through a covered bridge and ride over a small wooden bridge Over a small stream on her long driveway to get there.  I loved that house.  She had a ton of windows with white rollup shades on them.  I remember that she crocheted pulls that were attached to the bottom.  I was intrigued by them.

She moved because the house was too big to take care of.  My older sister got one of the antique rocking chairs that was on her porch. It's in her living room now.

I would love to live in a home like that.  I love large porches and they bring back many good memories.

@Carmie 

Sound lovely! What sweet memories. 

Honored Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

yes!

housefromdrive.jpg

@TheMemphisVette 

Is this your house or your dream? 

Esteemed Contributor

They're OK but I would much rather have a deck out back.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

No.   I don't particularly care for that style house.