Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen renovation input needed

@Mominohio , Bisque and/or Almond appliances are available in "builder's grade" , meaning they are basic and often put in duplexes and apartments. I like bisque but the salesperson steered me to stainless steel (never again, so hard to keep streak free). Also, I misspoke about Corian - laminate is cheaper and looks nice.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

So true about the pages & pages of rooms!  I was thinking the same thing -- I don't go there much because you need to try to get to "real" home things posted.

I wanted to say -- people in this community have refaced the cabinets. We got pricing for this but our cabinets were junk BUT interestingly the refacing was a little more than buying new cabinets.  

I bought Innovations full wood soft close cabinets in coastal cream & I designed the kitchen vs. what the kitchen "designer" kept suggesting.  (White cabinets with shaker style.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  Have you considered IKEA?  They actually show you pictures of the finished room.  I believe with IKEA you can do or you can have IKEA do it.  Something to consider.  Check it out online, there are endless choices for countertops, cabinets, etc.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Mominohio Had my kitchen remodeled two years ago and had  soft close drawers  installed, but also had an easy- reach cupboard installed in the corner instead of a lazy susan ... I LOVE IT!... the door is double hinged and swings out and  you can literally reach into the bottom corner to get out pots/pans without standing on your head...

I had a bank of large soft close drawers installed for use of all my baking pans, mixing bowls, etc.. and the top drawer for spices and my large parchment papers...

I  had to order the corner cabinet, the drawer bank and another cupboard to go on top beside my stove... then repurposed all the rest, I cleaned and painted an ivory color with triple satin polycoat over top... changed out all the hardware to a dark bronze...a 60/40 Siligranit (cream color) drop in sink with grates in both sides... new faucet with spray head... and dark  (greys/black/tan colored ) laminate countertop, which I also love... I ended up spending more for the additional cabinets and the sink I wanted.... I figure if my countertops don't last long, It won't be much of a problem changing them out, as I have the drop-in sink, instead of undermount.... MUCH easier to change out and it works for me and was much easier on the budget... I do wish I would've had the electrician wire for undercabinet lights.... I have them, but they're not hardwired  ...but they serve the purpose...I also did lots of research ahead of time to get an idea of what I wanted and how I wanted to improve the function of my kitchen...

Then I ordered things ahead of time.... i.e. range hood, faucet, sink baskets, cupboard hardware, light fixtures,etc.... and stock-piled it...most were on sale... then when the kitchen people came to give me an estimate, I showed them what I had ordered already and they could implement them into the design/plans and install them for me as they went along...it saved me a lot of money that way...also had them repurpose as much from the original trims (fillers and crown molding) to save money... I did the backsplash myself a few months later....I really love how my kitchen turned out and they did a fantastic job... you won't be sorry you went with a kitchen designer... they know what they're doing and know how to implement things into the design...don't be afraid to visit their showroom to get ideas, too... that's how I found out about the large drawers and easy-reach corner cabinet....have fun with your remodel... it's a mess, but well worth it in the long run... Good Luck!

Super Contributor

Super Contributor

Sorry....out of town at the Furniture Mart in High Point North Carolina.... I think some of our Friends from here at ‘Home’ would really love it here.... but my posting is misbehaving!
I redid my kitchen in Chicago in 2003 and used a company called Amish Country Kitchens for my cabinets.... I loved them and they were very custom and like beautiful pieces of furniture. When we sold the home in 2014 everyone who came through assume the kitchen was brand new.
I thought that might be a cool place for you to check out for cabinets @Mominohio considering they are your neighbors!

They didn’t bring the cabinets to Chicago by horse and buggy... Rather be in a big white truck but they were wrapped in a handmade blankets not your normal (and wasteful) cardboard and Styrofoam.
Good luck with your kitchen project ...so exciting!
Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
Have been very pleased with new vinyl floor- looks like tile. Does not show dirt, easy to clean, easy on feet. When beginning planning I was told to start with floor and that did help with color of cabinets, countertop, etc

@Twins Mom 

Start with the floor. That is the first time I've heard of that strategy. Thanks for that, something to surely consider. 

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@Mominohio 

I have to agree with you about the Home forum these days. I have been reluctant to say anything because I think the posters mean well but the quantity of their postings just take over the forum. I usually just skip over it now. Maybe we need another category for these types of posts - Decorating Inspiration or something like that.

@froggy 

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I figured since so many people respond to the posts, they are popular and the issue is just mine to deal with. I do like your idea of another category or forum just for that. I suppose Q wouldn't go for it, but I love the idea and think it would be a great suggestion.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

We did our kitchen and baths about 4 years ago.

One thing, very minor maybe, but if you are planning to get new faucets  the ones with a pull down sprayer built into the faucet are very nice, we chose that and it is so handy.  If you do get one be sure that it has a magnet which will hold the sprayer up.  There is a spring inside the faucet to do this, but  but it quickly stretches out.

My SIL did her kitchen a year after we did and got a similar one to ours without the magnet, her sprayer will no longer hold in the retracted position.

Good luck, hope your foundation and roof are OK.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio , I did what Twins Mom did.  I chose the floor first and went from there.  I was able to pick backsplash, counters and wood based on the flooring decision.  LM