Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen renovation input needed

@scatcat wrote:

Can I make a comment about granite?

We’ve had 4 different granite countertops over the past 19 years. I have never sealed any of them. Never had an issue.  

Our latest granite was installed in December and it came “sealed” and good for 10 (or did she say 15?) years. Either way, so easy. I never think granite = hard maintenance. It’s so durable 

I don't understand when people say granite is so hard to maintain. 

I literally wipe my counters down daily and that's about it.  I admit, I don't abuse my counters and they're very good quality. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For counter tops, check out Wilsonart high pressure laminates.  When we remodeled our small kitchen six years ago, I wanted quartz or granite until I saw the cost.  Several thousand dollars for counter tops wasn't in the budget.  The folks who sold us our cabinets recommended Wilsonart Laminate.  I chose Bella Capri.  Love it and do not regret one little bit about passing on granite.  We have white painted cabinets and stainless steel appliances.  I wanted a stainless steel sink, but we ended up with laminate and I am pleased. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

We’ve had 4 different granite countertops over the past 19 years. I have never sealed any of them. Never had an issue.  

Our latest granite was installed in December and it came “sealed” and good for 10 (or did she say 15?) years. Either way, so easy. I never think granite = hard maintenance. It’s so durable 

I literally wipe my counters down daily and that's about it.  I admit, I don't abuse my counters and they're very good quality. 

I think her issue with the granite involved the price too.

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I switched out my double sink for a single sink and I am happy I did because I never liked the double sink. 

My only suggestion is to make sure you pick the depth you want.  The sink they gave me is really too deep and if I spend too much time washing dishes it starts to bother my back.  They never asked me about the depth and I didn't know I had a choice.

Lesson learned.

I made this mistake too. I have really hated that deep sink.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio Can you set aside one room or even a garage with good lighting to use as a kitchen?

We have a rec room downstairs and we set this up as a kitchen as we had no kitchen for six months. DH put the old kitchen drawers on saw horses and we had foldable tables for the appliances, etc. I had everything I needed and made some of the best meals ever in the six months down there, lol.

I had a microwave, a two burner on which I was able to fry, a toaster oven, slow cooker, and we moved the webber to an area outside the slider of the rec room.  I did everything I do in a kitchen except make pasta and soups, things like that.

I lost weight going up and downstairs to the refrigerator which was in the hall, and it was an adventure and fun.  DH went upstqairs to eat in the family room, while DD and I ate in the rec room.  I had a small dvd player that we take with us in vacations, so that was my entertainment, mostly listened to it while preparing meals, and watched while I ate.

I washed dishes in the bathroom next to the rec room, and later on when the granite looking laminate was applied to the counter in the pantry, I washed the dishes in there.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I don't like Corian.  I'm sorry to be blunt.  I just don't like it.  I would rather see a high-grade laminate with rounded edges than Corian.

The sink - get the best one you can afford.  You spend a lot of time at a sink, so make sure it's the depth you want.  I love stainless sinks.  They're easy to keep clean and look good for the long haul.

Cabinets - pull out drawers are so nice.  

Bottom line - get the most functionality for your budget.  It's a room that you spend a lot of time in and you need it to be functional and beautiful without going overboard on price.

@Bri369 

THanks for the honesty on the Corian. I'm not sure I really like it better than some of today's laminates either. I was just wondering if it would be more seamless (I have some huge and ugly seams in current kitchen) and if it might be more durable. I can live with the look, if it would be more durable than laminate, but if not, the price difference is not going to be worth it for me.

@Mominohio :  I am wondering if there are different grades of corian.  Mine has been in this house for 19.5 years and looks like it did almost from day one.  I haven't had to buff anything out and I love it.  I am not careful with hot pans, etc. The only thing I wish is that when you wipe with some cloths, it leaves a streak.  BUT I have figured out which ones to use where I don't get that.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I miss being on the forums lately, but honestly, the home forum has gone a way I really don't enjoy, with all the posts of various rooms/homes etc. and the commenting on them. I mean I like a little of that, but I feel a lot of actual poster's real life questions, pics, sharing has just gotten lost in those other posts, to the point where I sometimes have to really search for the purging thread to keep up with it. 

ITA.

And good luck with your renovation!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  Sorry I didn't read this entire thread, but wanted to say that I updated my kitchen about 8 years ago. It was a lot of work. We did some of it but had help with some of it as well. I know it's overwhelming to even think about because there are so many decisions to make, plus cost etc. But I do think whatever you decide to go with, when all is said and done you're going to thoroughly enjoy your new kitchen. I love mine and it was so worth doing!

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio   I haven't read many of the replies but they sound really good.

My advice is to purchase the best your budget allows. Your kitchen is a place you and your family and friends will always enjoy and run to first. Also, decorate and renovate with the things that please you. Don't worry or concern yourself with what is in style. 

I know you will enjoy this time.....when it happens. We gutted our old kitchen five years ago and the entire project took five months. I thought I would lose my mind but it was worth it.......I LOVE my kitchen and it is a daily joy.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

@Bri369 - yeah, I don’t understand that either.  We’ve had ours for 14 years and have never done anything other than regular cleaning.  No sealing, nothing. They look exactly as they did when we moved in 14 years ago.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?