Honored Contributor

Great info and photos from everyone--my cabinet fronts were formica ---was the "it" thing in 1986 when we built the house so painting was not a thing for us. Now we sold the house despite those horrid cabinets  for a boatload of $$ in 2021 so it' s a mute point for me now --- but always thought about just getting the fronts replaced --anyone do that??

Honored Contributor

@MJDinVegas   Nice...  I would go light as well, currently the cupboards are a dark oak...the house is dark so a lighter cupboard, I hope, would make a big difference.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53    The chipping is my concern.  There are only two of us in the house but still concerned about durability.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl   If only the fronts are replaced..that means you would still have the same finish correct?.....just new fronts

Honored Contributor

With any painted item, chipping is a concern. I have to think a professional will apply a top coat to minimize chipping over time. It's still a much better option than replacing your cabinets. I'd rather stay on budget!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs well I think.Woman Indifferent....the  cabinet  frames could be sanded down to remove that horrilble orange stain that was popular in the 80's and then the doors would be totally new wood  and either stained or painted. At least in my mind that would be the way----the placements of the cabinets are just fine but would add more if I could have. 

Honored Contributor
  • Did you ask them if they do kitchen cabinets and if they have before & after pictures?  It's something that is commonly done.  If you are only an hour from the city, that's nothing for any business.  You can call around for estimates.  There are companies that specialize in kitchen cabinet refurbishing.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree   Yes, I saw the company's website, the before and afters were good as well as reviews.  I did contact them....we are to far out mileage wise for them to work in my town (about 60 miles).  They did give me a name a bit closer to home.  I have contacted them.

If I end up having the cupboards refurbished, I will see if there is anyone in my immediate area that they have worked for.  I don't always trust online reviews.

Honored Contributor

I taught Interior Design and always loved he look of "pickled" cabinets.  probably not the thing now, but attractive.

Pickled cabinets