Honored Contributor

DH and I are thinking of having our kitchen cupboards either painted or have the stain reapplied...I am not having new cupboards installed, to expensive. The cupboards are in good shape but after 40 years they need some attention.

If anyone has had their cupboards professionally painted...are you happy with how the paint has held up?  Watching  HGTV No Demo Reno...they spray painted cabinets...they only put on one coat!! and no top coat!  I cannot imagine that.  You would think there would be a clear, hard top coat put on the painted finish.

There is a company locally that does this kind of work, paint, stain, etc.  They have cleaned up and restained two full size interior doors for me and did a good job.  I would like two quotes if we move forward with the project.  I am a good hour from a large city and would be relying on the companies own references, which does not really wow me.  Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Have you asked the company you've used whether they have done kitchen work locally they can arrange for you to see?   

Trusted Contributor

I had the kitchen cupboards at our lake house professionally painted.  He did a wonderful job.  He took all the cupboard doors and drawers to his shop to spray them.  The finish is wonderful. They were dark oak and now are "alabaster" white.  It was the darkest part of my main floor and it totally brightened the whole area.  It made the dark gray Corian countertops look new!  We got black stainless appliances to finish off the remodel.

Now for durability... This is the second summer of use and two of the cupboards that are used the most have (very) small chips just above the handle.  I have more paint and can patch them.  The surface cleans easily with a Mr. Clean eraser or a microfiber cloth.  I am very glad we did it.

Esteemed Contributor

A friend of mine had her cabinets painted. It looks like a brand new kitchen. She did have them do a top coat, so she could wipe them down. They sanded them, primed, and then painted. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Mom2Dogs !

I recently had our kitchen cabinets repainted from dirty whitewash to warm white.  Had two quotes and going with the lower, which was less than 1/3 the price of the other, I'm happy with the results.  My next door neighbor aphid hers done at the same time by same guy.  We are both thrilled.  Paint has held up well and now is fully cured (done in May 2022).  He took the doors and drawer fronts off and did those in his shop.  He painted the structure attached to the walls on site and the best part was we didn't have to empty the cabinets!  Totally happy but that's comparing to the original 1989 whitewash.

Trusted Contributor

Here's the after photo.  The most important thing was getting our hinges on the cabinets replaced and adding knobs to protect the paint finish.  (Contractor supplied the hinges at cost and I bought the knobs on Amazon.). Many didn't shut properly, now they do.  We also had Stanley Steemer clean and seal our tile.

5175CB9C-B5C1-4C74-9C56-7C98A5D03321.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Please ignore the diet cran-Cherry juice and Tito's vodka in the picture.  LOL

Respected Contributor

I had my oak cabinets professionally painted white in 1996. They took the doors off the hinges and gave them multiple coats, hanging them in the cellar to dry in between.

They did an excellent job and only needed periodic touch up in the intervening years They were just repainted earlier this year by hub.

The company did an amazing job that held up for years. They hand painted - no spray paint. 

Good luck with your project.

Honored Contributor

A 40 year old kitchen? Umm I think you better take a closer look at just spray painting your cupboards! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I had mine done about 5 years before selling the house.  We also chose new hardware. They looked like new.  The painters took all the doors off-site to paint them and brought them back finished.

IMG_5455 2.jpg

IMG_6240.JPG

~ house cat ~