Super Contributor

Re: I am done with B&BW candles!!

I'm also a fan of the Better Homes and Gardens candles at Walmart. They have a very good selection of fragrances and even the cold throw smells nice.
Trusted Contributor

I still like Yankee Candles, they are my go to candle for Christmas. I just ordered Balsam and Cedar and Christmas Wreath last week. I have a BBW Limoncello candle burning right now...and it's one of the best I have had in a long time.
Super Contributor

I am going to try Goose Creek....I like the looks of their Primitive candles.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I think i am done with BBW candles too, they all smell similiar to me.

If you burn your Yankees correctly you shouldn't ever have tunnelling issues. You need to burn a FULL wax pool before blowing it out. If you don't have time for that on larger jars they have two wick tumblers and single wick tumblers that might be better suited for you.

I am a big Yankee fan and never have issues but I burn everyday and know the time that is needed for the large jars.

Respected Contributor

On 12/2/2014 BaileyandBella said:

Sigh....maybe I will try Yankee again. I hate their jar candles though, they "tunnel" instead of burning down evenly.

If you buy the glass candles that are pillars (not the traditional jars), with 2 wicks they burn much much better with no tunneling. They must be very popular -- they are all over the store.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Goose Creek and Circle E candles are fantastic and burn beautifully! Also Pure Integrity are my absolutel favorite but pricey!!!!!!Goose Creek has great sales and often!

Respected Contributor

OP, when you mentioned that Yankee jar candles tunnel, I wanted to tell you my experience. I noticed the tunneling too, but once the candle burns down about halfway, it tends to level out. That has happened to me several times, so now I'm not hesitant to buy them. I still love their scents.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/3/2014 VirgoGirl said:
On 12/2/2014 BaileyandBella said:

I knew they changed about a year or two ago, but I thought they would be somewhat OK. I have one called Holiday that I bought last year but just used once when I bought it.

I burned it today......no scent at all, except a chemical smell.....UGH. My teenage son walked in from school and said ewww, what is that smell.

Sigh....maybe I will try Yankee again. I hate their jar candles though, they "tunnel" instead of burning down evenly.

I have found that if I put the jar within another holder it keeps it warm all around the jar and burns evenly. I always get a full wax pool this way. I also use an illumalid on it. I used to put the foil all around the jar to keep it warm but certainly didn't like the look.

I have been using Goose Creek candles a lot lately and there are 2 wicks in the jar and will get to a full wax pool sooner. They also have great sales of half off very often.

I also can't burn BBW candles any longer because of the chemical smell.

I've been slow to get around to trying the candles from my recent and first Goose Creek order. I've finally burned two of them twice now. Each have the two wicks. One is a large regular jar (Warm Wishes) and the other is a primitive large jar (Rise & Shine) and I have been pleased that they are definitely getting the full wax pool.

They smell nice, too. I'm not detecting anything chemical, but who knows since our noses are all so different. Just a pleasant smell, medium strength I'd guess.

The wax is the hard type, though, so it can't be easily scooped out and used in a melter. Just FYI for all those scoopers out there like me.

Super Contributor

On 12/2/2014 chessylady said: I'm still loving my BBW candles. So many fragrances, even burn. You can take the ones you don't like back at any time.

Agreed!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

On 12/3/2014 LisaB said:

I think i am done with BBW candles too, they all smell similiar to me.

If you burn your Yankees correctly you shouldn't ever have tunnelling issues. You need to burn a FULL wax pool before blowing it out. If you don't have time for that on larger jars they have two wick tumblers and single wick tumblers that might be better suited for you.

I am a big Yankee fan and never have issues but I burn everyday and know the time that is needed for the large jars.

I agree.

I always used the Illumalid with my Yankee candles too. I never, ever have tunneling and no soot either. Be sure and trim the wicks also.

~Enough is enough~