Respected Contributor

How to take apart a picture frame

Has anyone seen any good tutorials out there on how to take apart a framed piece of art?

I am not finding much.

I have a lovely framed piece in breakfast room and due to light exposure the print has faded.

Instead of added it to a landfill I thought I could take off the back and simpley replace the print and rehang.  However, I am not sure how to get the back off........

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Re: How to take apart a picture frame

@Abrowneyegirl  If there is a paper sealer on the back of the frame, remove it.  There should be clips or some kind of insert into the wood frame holding the art work in place.  If they are U shpaed tabs, carefully bend them back, if there are small triangle inserts into the wood frame, use a tweezer to pull them out, pull them straight out.  Remove everything, insert new art work and place back in.

If you can take a picture of the back of the frame, once you remove the paper, it would help!

Esteemed Contributor

Seeing a lot of info Googling:

How to frame a picture

How to put a picture into a frame

Etc

Many show video tutorials

Respected Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl  If there is a paper sealer on the back of the frame, remove it.  There should be clips or some kind of insert into the wood frame holding the art work in place.  If they are U shpaed tabs, carefully bend them back, if there are small triangle inserts into the wood frame, use a tweezer to pull them out, pull them straight out.  Remove everything, insert new art work and place back in.

If you can take a picture of the back of the frame, once you remove the paper, it would help!

Thank you for the tips!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've done it, & it was simple.  Smiley Happy

Lay the picture frame on a flat surface.

I assume yours has the "paper" backing.....rip that off- you'll need a new piece. You'll see several small wire/metal  clip-type things- lift those to an upright position (I use the flat end of a screwdriver to do it). Wa-la....there's the print & glass.

Make sure your next print hangs the same direction....horizontal or vertical. If it doesn't, you'll need to move the hanging wire (whatever that's called, lol). Btw, I've done that too, & it worked perfectly. 

You'll need to buy some new paper backing- probably get that at a place like Michaels. Glue it on the back, & you're set. As you remove all the pieces of your picture frame, pay attention to how everything looks. That way you have steps to follow when you replace the print.

It's really very easy! You can even change the color of your frame if you want, or add a matboard....it's pretty fun & creative.

Have fun with it!  Heart