Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you replace your furniture?

Never.    I'd rather have a new car.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden. Hadn't had "new" furniture since 1975.  Left it al behind when the marriage was at an end in 1982.  Last Fall moved from New England and am furnishing a rental house in DC.  Didn't do "matching" sets for the LR, for instance, or either bedroom.  Doing it gradually.  Living Room is finished. One bedroom is done as well.  Need to hang drapes and sheers in both BRs.  Bath upstairs and downstairs powder room were the easiest and first to be completed.  Couch and beds were first furniture pieces purchased.  

Having fun with kitchen--don't need anything more for that in terms of cooking or baking vessels, or gadgets, though that doesn't mean I won't find "something" I need.  Invested in brand new commercial stainless steel prep table since kitchen was lacking in countertop surfaces.  Kitchen doesn't have base cabinets--has storage drawers instead--so I also got a commercial type open stainless steel open shelving unit  to hold dishes, and some pantry type items.  Don't like the kitchen "storage drawers" at all and the upper cabinets are quite shallow and the one over the fridge is useless except for once in a blue moon access.

Am having fun arranging and rearranging the interior in terms of practical and decorative things and am trying to finish the fenced in backyard before Winter arrives.

Esteemed Contributor

When it's worn, outdated and looks tacky.

In the market for a new sofa/love seat or sectional. Not an immediate need, maybe next year.

Honored Contributor

Good question.  

For me the answer is pretty close to never, except for a few minor mistakes.

For example, I still have my original kitchen dining set that is rattan with a white top, four rattan chairs (of which the cushions STILL are holding up).  We bought that in the 70s after our Hawaiian honeymoon and I took it with me after the divorce.  I still love it even though we might have been overly-influenced by the tropical memories with regard to the style.

I have other furniture (dining room set, bedroom set) that I think I will love forever.   I love the design and function of each set.  

I even still have a round wicker table I picked up as a college student for $10.  It comes in handy as a support for my printer.  

Even if I were wealthy, I question the need to replace good pieces that you love.  Of course, if someone wants to do that, all the better for the new recipients.  How else would someone find some of those consignment bargains?  Woman LOL

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

I am afraid to say I am the opposite , 3 couches in 13 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It sounds like most of us are alike in that we don't replace our furniture very often.  I have always bought high quality furniture and still have the first bedroom furniture I ever bought.  It is Henredon and is high quality, and I still love it.  I do replace upholstered pieces as needed, but since I buy high quality in those, too, that's not very often.  I bought a new Sherrill couch a few years ago and a new leather chair about seven or eight years ago.  That's it.  I had the previous couch and chairs for many years.  I have some antique furniture mixed in and don't have anything that's matchy matchy.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Haven't heard it called a "front room" in years.

Honored Contributor

Have been married 42 yrs & replaced the living room furniture 4 times so far. What we have now is 10 yrs old. I'm already ready for some new. LOL!!! The way they make things today I doubt I can find furniture made to my satisfaction.

Still have the same bedroom & dining room furniture of solid wood which they don't make it like that anymore so I will be keeping those pieces.

I do change, bedding, window coverings etc more then I need to but I have to have change. I cannot live in the same house with all the same stuff year after year.

Getting ready to paint the interior this fall/winter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every time we move!  It's cheaper to buy new than to move the stuff.  In the past 20 years, we've moved three times so new furniture every 7 or so years.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a few quality pieces I will keep as long as possible. I do replace chairs and sofas when they start showing wear. Helps to update styles, change colors and give same items to family/friends who are happy to get newish furniture. I have a few framed wall hangings that will always have a place in my home, however, I try to change colors and styles each decade. As time goes by, I appreciate being surrounded by nature and clean spaces. Less chaos. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau