Esteemed Contributor

How long did it take to close on your house?

I thought I would make a seperate thread on this instead of hijacking the other thread. When you sold your house how long did it take after you sold to close on it?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How long did it take to close on your house?

30 days

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I don't remember but it was 30 days or less.

It was specified in the contract.

The owners were anxious to go and I was ready to complete the deal.

Honored Contributor

Normal closing time is 30 to 60 days.  It depends on the buyers financing.  If you sell FHA or VA it will take longer usually,  than a conventional mortgage.

if the buyers have great credit and at least 20% down and the title search goes really well, 30 days is about right.  Most buyers want to close on the last day of the month because it saves them money in interest.

Cash buyers can close right away after the title search and inspections are completed.

if the sellers have to get the house treated for termites or make repairs, that could cause the  settlement date to be longer.

if the house settlement date on the contract can't be met, an extension will need to be signed by the seller and buyer, or either party can drop out.

Occasional Contributor

My parents house sold in 5 days and my brothers and I closed it in 30 days. The people who bought it paid cash! 

Occasional Contributor

Spoiler

My parents house sold in 5 days and my brothers and I closed it in 30 days. The people who bought it paid cash! 

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

I don't remember but it was 30 days or less.

It was specified in the contract.

The owners were anxious to go and I was ready to complete the deal.

That is how we will be. We need the quickest close possible. If the buyer had kids I would think they would want to be in before school. I have to also mention to my dad if he hasn't already thought about it that all offers must have pre approval. We will defintly let the buyer know we want a quick close. Hopefully the buyer will want the same.

Honored Contributor

30 days people we bought from were ready to go! 

Honored Contributor

It normally takes about 30 days but could easily take longer.  Inevitably some issue will arise that must be settled before the process can continue.  It's nerve-wracking for all parties involved.  This is when the realtor earns his/her money. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Normal closing time is 30 to 60 days.  It depends on the buyers financing.  If you sell FHA or VA it will take longer usually,  than a conventional mortgage.

if the buyers have great credit and at least 20% down and the title search goes really well, 30 days is about right.  Most buyers want to close on the last day of the month because it saves them money in interest.

Cash buyers can close right away after the title search and inspections are completed.

if the sellers have to get the house treated for termites or make repairs, that could cause the  settlement date to be longer.

if the house settlement date on the contract can't be met, an extension will need to be signed by the seller and buyer, or either party can drop out.

There shouldnt need to be any repairs. My dad is making sure everything is in pristine condition before going on market. I think it might be a good idea to not accept any offers that are fha or va if that can be helped. In this market right now I think most people are prequalified before starting to look.