Honored Contributor

How do you clean under your heavy bed?

I need advise, please. I have a queen size bed that is very hard to move. Due to back trouble I can no longer move it and it is getting harder each year for me to sweep the carpet underneath it. I am having some sinus problems and know that dust bothers me. It really should be done weekly and right now that is not happening! How do you ladies who are a little older ( I am 64) solve this problem? I am even thinking about down sizing to a twin size bed. I also have entertained the idea of a Roomba (is that how it's spelled?) Anyone here have any suggestions? I don't want to be asking my married kids to come over and move my furniture. I know they would but it's just nice to be independent and I would prefer not to get that started. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you clean under your heavy bed?

Do you have a vacuum with tools that you can use - I used to get down on the floor and sit there while I used my canister vac to sweep under the furniture. It was so hard to get back up ! I now have a lady who comes and cleans for me every two weeks - what a delight it is to have her , I know I am very fortunate. Perhaps it is time for you to consider having someone clean for you. When i got up to where it was taking 3 days , all day , for me to get the cleaning done I felt it was time for me to give up the ship and hire help. I had no intention of spending half of my time each week just getting the cleaning done.
Honored Contributor

Do you have a vacuum with tools that you can use - I used to get down on the floor and sit there while I used my canister vac to sweep under the furniture. It was so hard to get back up ! I now have a lady who comes and cleans for me every two weeks - what a delight it is to have her , I know I am very fortunate. Perhaps it is time for you to consider having someone clean for you. When i got up to where it was taking 3 days , all day , for me to get the cleaning done I felt it was time for me to give up the ship and hire help. I had no intention of spending half of my time each week just getting the cleaning done.
Honored Contributor

My apartment is very small, I only have two closets. Therefore I have all storage under my bed, so it is not possible to clean.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

If you can afford a Roomba, I'll bet you'd be quite pleased. I have the smaller unit (the Mint) made for hardwood floors, largely because I also was unable to clean thoroughly under my bed. I wouldn't be without my Mint! I have hardwood floors in my master bedroom and hall upstairs (among other places), and run my Mint weekly. I live alone and don't currently have any pets, so I get get away with just a weekly run.

Regular Contributor

I have a king size bed with a heavy mattress. We use furniture slides that fit under the posts and that enables us to vacuum underneath. It's a two person job.

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 happy housewife said: Do you have a vacuum with tools that you can use - I used to get down on the floor and sit there while I used my canister vac to sweep under the furniture. It was so hard to get back up ! I now have a lady who comes and cleans for me every two weeks - what a delight it is to have her , I know I am very fortunate. Perhaps it is time for you to consider having someone clean for you. When i got up to where it was taking 3 days , all day , for me to get the cleaning done I felt it was time for me to give up the ship and hire help. I had no intention of spending half of my time each week just getting the cleaning done.

I have thought about a housekeeper. My doctor doesn't want me on ladders anymore so I can't get the high places either. I can identify with it taking 3 days....that's about where I am now. DH does all the sweeping, folds clothes, and other things and is pretty good about helping out but he is facing some more health problems and I don't want to ask him right now to move heavy items. You would think they would come up with beds on wheels or something. Of course you would have to put them on the headboard too I would imagine. Thanks for posting....I might just have to go the housekeeper route. I do have a small canister vac with tools but it is old and suction is poor.

Honored Contributor

Krimpette I don't know anything about Roomba's but I may have to investigate this, too. We put new carpeting in our bedroom a couple of years ago. I wished we would have done hardwood floors instead. I didn't know anyone with a Roomba so this is good news! I will look into this today.

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 evergreen said:

I have a king size bed with a heavy mattress. We use furniture slides that fit under the posts and that enables us to vacuum underneath. It's a two person job.

DH is having trouble turning our queen size mattress so we rarely do it anymore.. I have easy slides from QVC and was wondering if they could just be left on all the time? I am also wondering if a handyman could put steel roller balls...I think they used to be called castor's or something like that???? I really appreciate all you ladies responding. Usually, hubby takes care of these things but he has faced a lot this last year and a half and just got some "not so good" news so I am just trying not to bother him with things.

Honored Contributor

I feel the cleaning lady is the way to go - with her doing all the heavy and the high and low stuff I can easily keep up with the daily chores, and the house looks nice all the time. before we had her it seemed I was constantlycleaning and yet the house never looked clean, i just kept getting farther and farther behind. Plus my back and hips and knees were always hurting because of the high and low cleaning. my house has 10 1/2 ft ceilings so I was spending a lot of time up on ladders - something that was absolutely not safe.