Honored Contributor

Re: How can I get rust/lime out of bottom of toilet?

We use CLR on a routine basis since we have hard water.  Flush the toilet, turn off the water so it does not refill, put about a cup of CLR in toilet, and let it soak for at least 2 to 3 hours (longer if possible).  After that time use brush to clean and the rust and lime and calcium deposits should be dissolved.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

Bar Keepers Friend cleanser will remove rust. 

Trusted Contributor

NEVER use BLEACH on RUST!  Bleach sets rust stains and just makes them harder to remove.  Just google it for verification.

Respected Contributor

kze you are correct. we have a water conditioner because we have very rusty water. while it keeps all my appliances and clothing from turning brown and rusty, i think because the water sits in the toilet, it starts to build up a little. the only product that completely gets rid of rust is a product called WHINK...it comes in a brown bottle and has kept my toilets gleaming white. i have tried it all...the stains laugh at CLR, barkeepers friend is too gentle on  REAL rust, and bleach makes it worse. WHINK is hydrochloric acid so you cannot mix it with anything!!! just squeeze it in the toilet, scrub it around and leave it. if the stains are bad, it will take several treatments. i squirt it weekly and even though it says do not use on color toilets, i have done that with no problem. i have the "bisque" color toilets and one white but it does just fine.

i can only find it at ACE hardware, but you can also by it online. hope it works for you!

Honored Contributor

@fleetwood wrote:

I have had really good luck w/ a liquid toilet bowl cleaner called The Works. I let it sit in the bowl for a couple of hours and then brush and flush. I used it for hard water stains so I am not sure about rust but it's worth a try. I also recommend trying a scouring pumice stone. 

Yup count me in for being a big fan of "The Works". It has eliminated all of my hard water chores.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

The newer Lysol Power cleaner in a dark blue bottle has worked wonders in my older toilet and keeps the newer one very clean. It's removed stains I thought were never going away and after soaking for a while requires little elboy grease.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I lived with iron water for the first 40+ years of my life, and this sounds like an iron stain.   

CLR and The Works cleaners are most likely to work, besides a pumice stone.   Trying many different chemical cleaners will actually cause a reaction that sets this stain into the porcelain, and NOTHING will remove it at that point.   

Valued Contributor

Barkeeper's Friend works wonders.  Love it!

Honored Contributor

@fleetwood wrote:

I have had really good luck w/ a liquid toilet bowl cleaner called The Works. I let it sit in the bowl for a couple of hours and then brush and flush. I used it for hard water stains so I am not sure about rust but it's worth a try. I also recommend trying a scouring pumice stone. 

Another vote for The Works. I was pleasantly surprised with how good this stuff is and it's so cheap.