Honored Contributor

How can I clean this?

[ Edited ]

I inherited my mom and dad's bedroom set.

It's vintage 1954. It's cherrywood and extremely well constructed. In all these years, not a screw has come loose nor has it sustained any structural damage. However, it's dirty from years of use and wax buildup -  she used to "polish" it every week as part of her regular cleaning regimen. We plan to have it professionally restored eventually, as it's also scratched and worn. In the meantime I have tried everything I know to clean it and nothing seems to work.  if anyone can lead me to the right product for this, I'd be very grateful.

IMG_2477.jpg

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat. Looks like a beautiful set.  Try Amish Wood Milk.  Use a clean cloth to rub it on.  The product will bring your wood back to life.  I love using it.

Respected Contributor

I would like to know also.  I have my original dresser from 1954 when I was a child.  I would love to clean it really well as I waxed it also every week.  I've never had to buy a new bedroom set in all these years as it is made from all wood, no plywood.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

For decades the standard in fine furniture and antique care has been Minwax sold through hardware stores.  There is a cleaning solution that removes the gunk.  Their stains and furniture care items are wonderful!

I use Old English lemon oil.  It nourishes the wood with no build-up. 

Esteemed Contributor

Did you try Murphy's oil soap ? That is what I would use. You may need a very soft toothbrush to get around the carving where the English oil   polishing   settled.

I had a similiar problem with an old Thomasville dining room set with crendenza.  It took me quite awhile to  get all the residue Old English oil off the piece .

I am contemplating  painting it with chalk paint .

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Did you try Murphy's oil soap ? That is what I would use. You may need a very soft toothbrush to get around the carving where the English oil   polishing   settled.

I had a similiar problem with an old Thomasville dining room set with crendenza.  It took me quite awhile to  get all the residue Old English oil off the piece .

I am contemplating  painting it with chalk paint .

@skatting44  I have painted many prices both old and new with chalk paint and I love how they turned out.  Do it!

Super Contributor

Food for Varnish by Rowe Bisonite, available on Amazon. This outstanding product was developed for commercial & industrial use, and so, is not commonly known. Food for Varnish will restore and condition the finish without altering it. I used this on my new & antique furniture as well as natural woodwork & cabinets for decades & cannot recommend it highly enough.

Esteemed Contributor

What a treasure you have!

What you want to do is to remove old buildup without removing the finish.  Use a wood soap and water or dish soap.  You will be floored what you get.

Never, ever go near a grocery oil or polish.  Lots of wood unfriendly ingredients.

It would be worth it to have a consult with the eventual refinishing person about what to use in the interim.

Honored Contributor

@cantdrive55 

That sounds helpful in refinishing the wood, but does it clean the gunk?

~ house cat ~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I clean this?

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

Howard Restorfinish.  

see this video youtube/watch?v=0LmetydOUYY

Add dot com after youtube and then the backslash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LmetydOUYY

I am going to hope they do not take this down.  It's not anything that is competing with QVC or any vendor.

PLEASE see this video before buying anything else or trying anything else.