Regular Contributor

I have been in my house for 20 years and this is the first time I am having trouble with tiny black ants. I am finding them in my bathroom and kitchen. I am spraying Raid ant spray and it works at first, but the keep returning. Anyone have a remedy to get rid of these pesty tiny black ants. Any homemade or non-toxic solution/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I use ant traps. It's a little plastic disk that you put on the floor. It usually works in a couple of days.

I would get ants at the beginning of winter near my front door.

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with brii. They work amazingly! I love them. I just buy a bunch of them and put them out.

In no time the ants are gone.

Valued Contributor
We bought our home 21 years ago. About three months after moving in we woke up and found thousands of ants in the kitchen sink and on the counters. We tried every home remedy, sprays from garden store until we decided yo call a pest control company. Needless the say, we went through two pest control companies before we called Orkin. It took two months but they finally got rid of the ants. Orkin comes once a month to service outside (and inside, if necessary). They will also come out if other problems arise. Monthly service does not include termites (that is done under a separate contract) nor do they cover bees/hives. We discovered a bee hive under some stairs outside. They referred us to a local company who came out promptly and removed the hive. HTH
Respected Contributor

I leave 2 of those plastic ant traps out year 'round. I used to get ants in the kitchen every early spring but no more.

If you have tons of ants the best thing is Terro liquid ant bait. The liquid poison is in little plastic containers - it's like the Jonestown Massacre for ants. Once they drink the kool aid and you get rid of them then put the regular plastic traps out to keep them from coming back..

Honored Contributor

I also recommend the disc or square traps that go on the floor. They're much better than sprays because the ants take the bait to the nest and it kills them there.

Instead of spray, you can also use cinnamon. Ants won't cross cinnamon. If you can find where they're coming inside, you can surround that area with cinnamon, but the ants already inside won't go back out, so you'll have to kill them with a spray.

If they come back after you use a bait trap, I would recommend having an exterminator come and do the outside of your home. You can find exterminators that use plant-based pesticides.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/23/2014 Frannie said:

I leave 2 of those plastic ant traps out year 'round. I used to get ants in the kitchen every early spring but no more.

If you have tons of ants the best thing is Terro liquid ant bait. The liquid poison is in little plastic containers - it's like the Jonestown Massacre for ants. Once they drink the kool aid and you get rid of them then put the regular plastic traps out to keep them from coming back..

The liquid ant bait works amazingly well.

Super Contributor

fully agree with brii.

Frequent Contributor

I am having trouble with them right now around my kitchen sink although there is nothing there for them to get. I have some of the ant traps set out right now that seem to be working but I still see a couple during the day.

Frequent Contributor
On 4/23/2014 BeckiWV said:
On 4/23/2014 Frannie said:

The liquid ant bait works amazingly well.