Honored Contributor

Re: House or Condo

[ Edited ]

@deedledeedeedle -

You know, whether a house or condo, it really depends on which one and where.

You could have a house next to awful neighbors and the same with a condo.

With a house you do have to worry about everything that needs repair and there are a lot so you need lots of extra money. And if you have awful neighbors there is not much you can do.

With a condo, its the same but one of my favorite places to live was a beautiful condo we had with wonderful (for the most part) neighbors.And yes you can enjoy the outside without taking care of it.

Our townhouse had great neighbors too all but one and that can change everything.

If you are trying to decide and actually looking at places, talk to the neighbors who hopefully will tell you the truth.

and it is probably harder to resell a condo for the most part than a good house.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I've had 2 townhouse style condos when I was young. Often worked OT or a 2nd gig job so no yard work was a plus. The second condo was larger and built like a fortress so I never heard neighbors.

The HOA's can be a PITA. Big time. Along with rules about no cars in your driveway at night (garage only), pet rules, trash can rules, visitor rules, you can't control your costs. HOA votes it, you pay for it.

The cost control and pet issues are why I decided to live in a single family home in retirement.

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedleI do not believe there's one answer that fits everyone, and there's not even one answer that fits everyone in a category because there are just so many different people and so many different condo developments.

For myself, there was a right time to be the owner of my own separate house.   And now is the right time for me to own my condo.   But the reasons for each have to do with my own personality, my family-community support, my financial situation, my health as well as the location of each.

Knowing oneself well is an important factor in many decisions and choosing housing is right up there close to the top of that list.

Esteemed Contributor

House. Even though I don't like yard work I can hire someone for that. With a condo you never know when the owners will decide to turn them into apartments and you are sc***ed because you can't sell it. Then you have nothing but renters around you, I like my peace and quiet and don't want neighbors that close to me. As for HOA's all houses built after 1988 in Arizona (except for custom homes) are stuck with them, I don't have one and like it that way.

Esteemed Contributor

House (with no nearby neighbors).

Honored Contributor

@MandyG06 

That's what I'm talkin' about!

We have a large yard, but when the day comes that we can't maintain the yards, etc., we'll hire a lawn crew, LOL!

They aren't that expensive and for us it would be a better option than living in a condo.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: House or Condo

[ Edited ]

We downsized from a lake community home, after 24 years, to a  townhouse - or some call it a patio home that connects with one other home. Our backyard has a beautiful (my opinion) courtyard and deck off the dining room and we back up to green space. Lots of opportunity to landscape in front and back. No pool or exercise areas like you may find at a condo, so our HOA is maintenence-provided details only. Reasonable. We're tucked away from main roads but very close to conveniences. This was the only way hubs would move and we're thrilled with our  place. I could do a condo, though. I could really do a condo at the beach. I know....   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

I have lived in both - a house and a townhouse.  I had the house when I was married and my daughter was young.  We divorced and my daughter and I moved into a townhouse when she was about 15.  The townhouse was fine because she wasn't playing outside any longer.

I think both were perfect for the place I was in life - the house for a young family, with a husband to take care of it, and now a townhouse for me and my older daughter, with no husband to take care of it.  When she moves on with her life, it will be just me and will be fine.

Both have their positive and negative points.  Remember, nothing is perfect.

Honored Contributor

House, although there are some beautiful, very spacious townhomes and condos out there. When we were first married we lived in a Duplex, and while it was very nice and quite spacious, you always had someone right on the other side of the wall from you.....There was very little privacy as well. 

If you were lucky enough to have good neighbors, not so bad, but you always had to worry about the noise factor, and the privacy issues, so my choice would always be a Single Family House, but I do think if you are single, sometimes a Condo or Townhome make a lot of sense.....  

Trusted Contributor

A house, hands down, NOT in an HOA community.

In college I lived in a condo, a duplex.  That was fine for then, I worked nights and went to classes during the day.  No time for maintenance work of any kind.  I was lucky to have quiet neighbors so I could sleep whenever I had the chance.

After I married my late husband, we always lived in a house, trading up as economic conditions permitted to the house I have now.  No pool (YAY!), no HOA, no problem.  Having a lawn service is cheaper than HOA fees and the men do what you want them to do.  I can have my gardens and enjoy our yard (VERY high walls separate the properties) in peace. 

After I married DH we lived in his house on a golf course with an HOA--awfull!😫  It only took 2 years of them telling us what color our house could be, when to paint it, must apply to put in a tree and wait for approval, fines for using your garage for storage and on and on before we sold that and moved into my house.  Remodeled it to suit us and have lived happily ever since.😊

@deedledeedeedle Draw your own conclusions.