Trusted Contributor

If you had it to do over would you opt for a house or a condo? I see the pros and cons for each, but right now my condo has a long list of cons. Look forward to your input.

dee

Respected Contributor

House

No HOA fees, rules, board.

No shared walls, no nosey people in your business.  

Maybe I'll change my mind when we get older and want to downsize 

Honored Contributor

I value my peace, quiet and privacy too much to live in a condo, only a house for me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

We alaways had our own home out in the country.  We loved the tranquility and the privacy........but now that we are older we downsized a little over a year ago to a condo.  

I think you have to be choosey about what type of condo though.  Ours is considered mor of a townhouse.  We lucked out and took our time finding what we wanted.  We have 2000 square feet, an end unit with a double garage and our back deck races a state park that has 373 acres.  We got the most similar to what we were used to and so far we actually do love it!   And no yard work is the best part!!

Trusted Contributor

House-no question.  Even if is not quite as nice, you are in control. Monetarily condos have homeowners fees, special assessments, boards that make decisions.  Then there are the noise and privicy issues.  Our first home was a condo.   My sister kept her condo and has rent it out for 30 years, now wants to sell because of all of the issues that going on with repairs and reserve  funds and no one wanting to do anything.  Always better for you to be in control.  

Trusted Contributor

@deedledeedeedle : When I was single I had a townhouse with a back yard and large olive tree. 
Got married and have lived in a house for 46 years. I dread downsizing if I had to go into a condo. I need some kind of yard to plant and putter. Not sure they build townhouses like the one I bought in '70s. The yard is surprisingly large.

i could live there again if I had to but we have it rented out.

Honored Contributor

House for sure

Honored Contributor

My late MIL lived in a lovely condo, it was like a resort.  In a city but a bit secluded.  As people died or moved off, they couldn't sell so now it's full of renters.  It's like an apartment complex.    Her condo is old, developers are building new ones all the time, so why buy old when you can buy new.

Personally, I don't care for an HOA.   Not that it's bad because it's perfect for some lifestyles, just not mine.  I can't see any pros for living in a condo, for me.  But I would take it over a nursing home!!

Respected Contributor

I have a 2 story end unit town house. I've been blessed all these years with great neighbors. No HOA or association panel.I do wish, though, that I had a smaller place, but I'm sure this is where I'll spend the rest of my days. Besides I need to be where I can have my cats.

Valued Contributor

We sold our house and moved into a condo. I can't wait to get back into a house!

Our condo is more like a townhome, or a 3 story house. However, one of my neighbors has 3 kids and they are so loud, my other neighbor smokes all day long. I have kids, ages 11 and 8, so they want a back yard and driveway to play in, and right now we don't have that. Not having yard work is nice, but I miss planting the flowers that I want to plant. 

It all comes down to what you value, or need, the most.