Respected Contributor

House until I can no longer do my own outside tasks (shoveling snow, mowing, yard work).  Even then, I might opt to have someone else help out.  

Respected Contributor

Definitely a house.

Had a condo townhouse years ago, a few pros.  But the cons outweighed the pros.  Never again!

Regular Contributor

Re: House or Condo

[ Edited ]

Ever since I moved from Brooklyn in the 1990's, I've owned a house.  One house was my dream house and I loved it.

Circumstances always change and I moved to a small house to be closer to my daughter who was pregnant with her first child.

In 2007, I bought my first condo.  It was 3 floors and built like a duplex.  My friend of 30 years bought the one next door to me.  We are both divorced.   2 years ago, I sold that condo to move into a one floor condo in the same development as another friend of 30 years.  The next year, my friend sold her condo and moved into  development that I am now in.  A month ago,old friends who lived in Florida moved here and bought a condo in our development.  So now we have 3 of us who are  divorced and have known each other for 30 years and Florida friends who are also old friends.

We joke that we have our own compound. 

During this scary time with the virus, we can look out for each other and not have to rely on our kids.

It's the best decision I ever made.  I expect this will be my last move.  I'm very happy here.

Honored Contributor

You've hit on the secret to success of any home, condo, whatever.   Surround yourself with the ones you love.

@hick wrote:

Ever since I moved from Brooklyn in the 1990's, I've owned a house.  One house was my dream house and I loved it.

Circumstances always change and I moved to a small house to be closer to my daughter who was pregnant with her first child.

In 2007, I bought my first condo.  It was 3 floors and built like a duplex.  My friend of 30 years bought the one next door to me.  We are both divorced.   2 years ago, I sold that condo to move into a one floor condo in the same development as another friend of 30 years.  The next year, my friend sold her condo and moved into  development that I am now in.  A month ago,old friends who lived in Florida moved here and bought a condo in our development.  So now we have 3 of us who are  divorced and have known each other for 30 years and Florida friends who are also old friends.

We joke that we have our own compound. 

During this scary time with the virus, we can look out for each other and not have to rely on our kids.

It's the best decision I ever made.  I expect this will be my last move.  I'm very happy here.

Respected Contributor

I have a ranch style house 4 bedrooms 2 1/2 bath now just 2 of us do I need this no. Oh we looked many places DH wants the smaller house, club house, golf course etc.... I live in Az. so tons of stuff but I do know Del Webb has single houses (2-3 bedrooms) and they are all over USA check on line. They provide front garden service in the HOA He would move in a minute but I notice all their houses are far out from shopping or medical needs. I wonder what happens if you can't drive? You have to be 55yrs & older. The HOA is expensive because of all the ammendities but they are small single homes. My other problem is my DD she would inherit this but she can't live there she isn't 55yrs so what would she do with it guess rent it out in the winter or hope for a sale.So told DH how I feel and he just retired we decided to stay in this 2600 sq ft house & we got a gardener that comes once a month (no grass desert landscape) wow so nice not to do all that especially in the summer. So far I am able to clean & take care of it. We decided if the cleaning becomes too much we will get a cleaning service. 

Respected Contributor

DD lived in a 1 bedroom 1 bath apt. $1100 a month small baloney tons of noise 2nd floor. So she got a townhouse 3 bed 2 1/2 bath 2 car garage small yard so happy & much cheaper plus her mortgage payments are going somewhere instead of rent. It's 3 townhouses per building. When she goes on vacation I stay there to watch her dog. Mostly people around her age all nice say Hi. Across the street they are building houses & great schools her townhouse has gone up $50,000 in the last 2 yrs. my house not so much. Kitchen to me is small. She needs to learn to put seasonal clothes in totes (got storage (understairs) her closet is cramped. Her HOA is cheap they take care of the side & front yard has a small pool with walking paths. She loves it. Guess living in an apt & townhouse she feels she has space. LOL

Respected Contributor

@hick  seems you have good friends that want to be with you. Maybe rename your friends to extended family because they are beyond friends. I know my DD loves her townhouse but she has a fiance & know in a few years they want a house. She is 30yrs old but that townhouse is going up fast in value. They are building single houses or apts so seem townhouses & condos are not being built now and most want this. Young & retired don't want apts or the up keep of a house. 

Honored Contributor

I always owned a townhouse which is set up like a condo (maintenance free on the outside) and other common areas.  If you don't like yard work or shoveling in the winter then go with a condo.

kindness is strength
Contributor

For me, I definitely prefer townhouse living. I lived in houses when I was married but now I'm single and love that I don't have to worry about lawncare or outside maintence. The HOA is reasonable, and includes gas, which is nice. I'm lucky to have sweet neighbors and we watch out for one another. I love decorating my cozy townhome, which has a patio and a deck outside one of my two bedrooms that looks out onto a courtyard that reminds me of the Alfred Hitchcock movie, Rear Window, one of my favorites! A couple of years ago, I got an itch to sell and move to a condo and put it on the market. Within a week, I had a cash offer for the asking price. But I came to my senses and decided to stay put. I just feel safe and happy here and to me, it's carefree living. 

Respected Contributor

A house for me. I need the space and privacy.