Esteemed Contributor

Let me begin by saying that I understand the answers will depend on areas in which we live. That being said, I am thinking that down the road I will need help with housekeeping issues around my house. I am wondering if the house keeper you are aware of charge by the hour or by "the house". If by the hour, how much per hour? One person I contacted charges $25 per hour another by "the house". That seems strange unless they have been to your house and done everything that you wanted, then they could charge their weekly fee the same as time goes on. TIA

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep, I'd start with a quote from Molly Maid. They come to the house to see what you want them to do.

Then I would shop around and get other quotes. That way, you'll have a ballpark figure of people and companies in your area. 

Trusted Contributor

My 98 yr old mom lives in So. Calif. where everything is so high.  My sister got her a housekeeper for 3 hours and I think it's $100.  Her house is 1100 sq. ft. (3 small bedrooms and one bath).  This company will also drive her grocery shopping, errands etc. during that time if she so chooses.  They also will install light bulbs and do other small chores in the house.  She lives alone and we "forced" her to drive up driving after a stint in the hospital with pneumonia.  For a while she had 24 hr. caregivers and she is insisting she doesn't need help, but she does.  The caregivers would wash her clothes, prepare her food and do laundry.  My sister is getting one once a week no matter what she says.

Honored Contributor

All of the housekeepers I have used over the year has charged a set rate after seeing my house.  I would use someone recommeded by your friends.  I would be afraid of using an agency.  I have a friend who always uses supposedly reputable agencies and finds expensive items missing frequently.  She fires them but never gets her stuff back.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I usually had an in-house evaluation and then a full-service quote.  

Valued Contributor

My home is small, 1700 SQ FT and Tri Level - almost all quotes I've had and contracted for are around $200.  I'd prefer an independent housekeeper, but going rate is around 40.00/hour, four hour min.  I just haven't had good luck with either a service or independent but am looking for the fall!  I want someone weekly and not all rooms done.    

Trusted Contributor

I live alone, with no pets.  I have a monthly cleaning done by an independent housecleaner who charges $100 (I pay her cash).  This is for two bedrooms, 1 and 1/2 baths, living room and kitchen/dining area.  She does the usual things, but doesn't clean the oven or fridge or any windows.  She is very trustworthy and does a thorough job.  Having been burgalized before, trust and performance is worth more to me than just the cost.  P.S.  I live in the Northern Virginia area where most services are pricey.

Valued Contributor

@Fifi1 wrote:

My home is small, 1700 SQ FT and Tri Level - almost all quotes I've had and contracted for are around $200.  I'd prefer an independent housekeeper, but going rate is around 40.00/hour, four hour min.  I just haven't had good luck with either a service or independent but am looking for the fall!  I want someone weekly and not all rooms done.    

We decided that our kitchen & 2 bathrooms seem to need the most attention, so was able to find someone that cleans those rooms for $75. every 2 weeks..it only takes her about an hour, so it works for all of us. We can manage the rest of the house, floor care, dusting, etc..

Valued Contributor

We have small locally owned services as opposed to the big chains like Molly Maids.  I pay 90 dollars every two weeks for a house cleaning.  I get the same lady every time.  I don' t like switching of people I like to get one I trust to come all the time.  I also got my son's flat cleaned by a local service.  They charged 168 dollars for a two bedroom large apartment, a quick basement clean, and cleaning of the back and front stairwells.  You have to pick up the clutter and put things away before they clean if you have a messy place. 

Honored Contributor

In a previous life I paid $120 every two weeks. The house was about 2800 sq ft.  

They were recommended by people in the neighborhood and did many of the homes there. They were a a husband/wife team and It took them 2 1/2 hours.