Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Homes with open floor plans decor

for those that have open floor plans do you keep your color scheme the same throughout or do you do each room in different shades of decor ?   We have a craftsman but our LR and kitchen are open to each other and I'm wanting to do pinks and greys and ivory in LR ,  but keep kitchen black white and grey as it is.  Cabinets black , counters marble , stainless appliances and has touches of blue .    I'm debating wether it flow together with pinks in one room it's more blue in the room adjacent to it😏

Respected Contributor

Re: Homes with open floor plans decor

Mine is has different color walls and decor. My kitchen walls are country white and my family room walls are burgundy.  My appliances in my kitchen are black and the cabinets are a sea greenish- blueish color. (came with the house. LOL)

Trusted Contributor

Mine is the same throughout.  Just easier that way.

Honored Contributor

I use the same color scheme.

I'd be careful using two different color schemes that might clash with each other. 

Honored Contributor

Same color scheme with a variety of accent colors.  Neutrals with accents that carry over from area to area.

Esteemed Contributor

I incorporate the same colors, so it just flows

Esteemed Contributor

We have a semi open florr plan in a large older home. I kept the colors in the "main living area (entry, hallways, living& dining rooms and kitchen ) in the same color family for the flow.  I did an accent of gold in the dining room and grey in the living room. The entry is ivory and the kitchen is a dark cherry wood. 

My advice would be to find the center spot that you can see the entire area. Place the accent or colors that you are considering up on the wall . ( I used poster board or painted cardboard and thumbtack/tape to the wall) Look at the colors during the various times of the day and night. That will give you a good idea if it will flow in your home. Take your time. It's better than rushing to get a project completed and then not be happy with the results. Hope this works for you.     

Valued Contributor

My home has the same color on the walls throughout; in the bedrooms upstairs and the living, dining and kitchen areas downstairs. I don't think I can handle having different colors in different rooms. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

We have a semi open florr plan in a large older home. I kept the colors in the "main living area (entry, hallways, living& dining rooms and kitchen ) in the same color family for the flow.  I did an accent of gold in the dining room and grey in the living room. The entry is ivory and the kitchen is a dark cherry wood. 

My advice would be to find the center spot that you can see the entire area. Place the accent or colors that you are considering up on the wall . ( I used poster board or painted cardboard and thumbtack/tape to the wall) Look at the colors during the various times of the day and night. That will give you a good idea if it will flow in your home. Take your time. It's better than rushing to get a project completed and then not be happy with the results. Hope this works for you.

@Fressa  Excellent advice !!!  I do plan to take my time and get it right.  In the past  at times I've been too quick to decide on decor and have been sorry.    Thanks !

Honored Contributor

I have a townhouse and my main level (kitchen and living area) is pretty much one big room.  In 28 years I've done it several ways.  Right now the whole floor is the same.

I've done the kitchen white and the rest of the level a color and used the color as the trim for the white and the backsplash.

I've done completely different colors but in the same tone (cool).

I've done complementary colors yellow and blue in the same tone.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN